ticking noise from engine

Dalesun

Driving back from Canby and a bit before we got on the I-5 my engine started to make this ticking noise. Was not that loud and kind of just started while I was driving. Drove back to Eugene and it ticked all the way but didn't sound that loud until I got off the highway. Ticks at any rpm range. Checked my valve clearence and thats good, retarted my timing and that didn't do anything. When I remove the #1 spark plug the ticking gets a lot quieter and I can barley hear it. Removing the other spark plugs doesn't change the noise. Checked timing chain to make sure it wasn't loose as well as checking the exhaust manifold bolts to see if they were loose. Stumped here and can't really find anything on how to exactly diagnose it other than that it may be rod knock?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad plug wire???

You need to pay real close attention to when and how it's "ticking". On throttle, off throttle; at idle, all the way up the RPM range; cold, hot, in one gear or in all gears, etc.

Off the gas get's quiter...it sounds like exhaust leak, but without more info, the sky's the limit.

So it will tick louder when I'm giving it more gas and when rpms go up. If I have it in gear and go down hill and am not applying any gas it will get a lot quieter and less frequant even though my rpms willl still be around 2000. If I drive on flat ground at 2000 it is louder. If I let of the gas and cruse in gear the sound will fade away. Can't see a visible leak and can't feel anything cause of the fan. Sounds like it is coming from aroound the top of the block on the number 1. It is also louder on the exaust side than if I listen from the other side.

ok I'll do that when I get out of work tonight. It also felt like it didn't fire a couple of times when i drove it. Saw my tach take a small dip in rpms. It is also more of a high pitched tick coming from intake/exhaust side. If it is a manifold leak I already ordered a head gasket set from rockauto. My l16 has a u67 head and am going to put a 210 head on it once I get it acid bathed and check it for cracks

just looked at it in the dark an could'nt find a spark flashing over. Went ove to a friends house and he agreed it sounds more like a exhaust leak. Gona switch spark plug wires and see if it goes away. Glad it is probably something simpler than I was thinking. Always over think these things

Yeah but the one I had before was when I cut my exhaust nsted of trying to take off exhaust flange bolts. Had to get a flex pipe kit. Running exhaust maniold and 6 in of pipe was pretty loud. Also was blowing right at my tranny. This one sounds like it is coming from the top of exhaust manifold. The reason I thought it was my engine. But it's not that much louader and sounds more like a leaky exhaust flange

where the Y pipe meets the exhaust I alwasy ck for leaks at the gasket also.

This is why I never separate these parts when pulling a motor. I leave the exh manifold in the car/ truck. ai usually ck this when its cold so Im able to Feel the leak better before everything gets to hot.

The lower intake exhaust manifold gaskets have a tendency to blow out the center exhaust ports so feel under there also. But you might notice more of a stink. I had 2 Felpro ones blow out but mostly due to the exhuast side of the bolts falling out with the WASHER.