dogleg 5 speed leaking oil

I have a dogleg 5 speed in my 73  620.  It has been whining for a couple years now.  Anyways I just fixed the truck, put it back on the road, and now gear oil pours from the tail of the transmission.  I guess I need to find out what years and cars this dogleg came out of, maybe I can find parts for it?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That rear trans seal is still available. Pull the driveline and you can see it. Pull it out, replace with new ans good to go. Wet the inside of the seal with oil before you place the driveline back in. Datzenmike knows the part number

The 5th gear whining is the result of it being a car transmission, they were never meant to push around the weight of a truck, and definitely not meant to haul weight or tow anything, if it is really bad, find another one, as they are expensive to work on.

And if you get another one, if your towing or hauling anything, do not use 5th gear, use 4th gear only.

The dogleg mostly came in the '77-'79 200SX. Also, optional on 510s of that era, but if Nissan or someone has a rear seal, they should be able to find it for an SX. You might pry up and down on the rear output of the tranny to be sure the seal isn't leaking cause the rear bearing is loose. I hope not, but it is worth knowing before buying the seal.

You may know this, but if you decide to replace the dogleg with a 620 5-speed, the 620 tranny is a few inches longer, so your driveline will need to be shortened (or get the right length 620 driveline if you can find one). A 280Z or ZX tranny will work also. Same length as the 620 trans., but gear ratios are likely different. You may have to go with whatever you can find if your dogleg does need replacing.

http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/datsun_transmissions.htm

http://newprotest.org/projects/510/gearRatios.pl

If you do go with a different tranny, remember the throwout bearing sleeve needs to be swapped over to the new trans. TO sleeve must match the clutch, not the trans.

Len

Tranny holds about 2 liters so over filling may cause this. There is a breather on the top front of the tailstock. In the picture below it's the little pipe pointing to the rear. Trannys get bloody hot! The air expands and if not vented will push oil out. Vent pipe may be kinked or blocked.

transdoglegshort78hl510Lseries.jpg

Otherwise get 32136-U0100 used from '70 through the '04 Xterra. All 71B and C 4 and 5 speeds, 610/710/810 all 200sx/240sx, Z cars/ RWD Maximas, 620 and up trucks and more

The transmission has been in the truck for a couple years and hasn't leaked anything until last week.  I'd imagine its not over full.  I have to fill it almost every time i drive it now.  I don't think the vent pipe is even there on mine anymore.  The transmission whines in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th.  I might have a bad rear bearing in the tail as well as other things.  As for finding a replacment dogleg 5 speed, probably not going to happen out here.  I have a few short 4 speeds laying around, only know of one that is for sure good.  My other 5 speed is a long tail from a 620, but I have plans for that in another truck of mine.