dreaded frayed throttle cable

Lowandslow

So I rebuilt my hitachi a couple of days ago and my truck can finally hold idle again!! I replaced all of the gaskets inside the carb, the accelerator plunger, the fuel line stop and all the springs. The only problem I have now is the throttle cable will not return all the way. It returns 90% of the way then stops. I have to push it back to close all the way. I inspected the throttle cable and it appears to be frayed. It worked before so I dont know if that could just of become a problem. Also I am getting no hp gain up top when the secondary opens up. During the rebuild I cleaned all the jets and I sprayed carb cleaner through them and they were flowing very nicely.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone have amy experience or insight on replacing the throttle cable or what other datsun I can get a throttle cable from? Ive seen the bicycle brake line fix but I would rather replace it with a throttle cable.

2. When I manually open the throttle to 100 percent I can see the secondary open up. Is there any other test I can do to see why it seems like its not opening up when I accelerate?

Thanks for any help!!

Dip the frayed end in brake cleaner or kerosine to thoroughly degrease it.  Let it dry.  Twist the strands together, flux them, preferrably NOT with acid flux, get out your soldering iron and lightly coat the twisted end with solder.  Lightly!  If you have a piece of leather or asbestos you can wipe/twist the solder while still fluid to insure a neat and not lumpy coat.  Or if you are lucky and apply minimal solder it will come out fine.  The solder sealed, once frayed, end will slip into the existing socket.

Sorry for the late response guys, been working a lot lately plus a newborn so not much free time haha

I will attempt to do the soldering on Monday as that is my next day off. I dont have much experience soldering but will practice on other stuff prior to doing so. Thanks for the advice!!

Datzenmike: I meant when I manually push the throttle by hand it opens up. Its a hitachi, I compared it to my friends weber on his 620. I noticed that the plunger on the rebuild kit was a bit taller than the old one. Should I adjust the bar that pushes the plunger bar down?

Really a new cable is like 17 bucks why bother besides unless you use silver solder it wont work. Regular rosin core solder will ball up and fall off.

1980 NISSAN 720 PICKUP 2.0L L4 : Body-Interior : Accelerator Cable   Price BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0950489   

Accelerator Cable

Rockauto ,, a whopping $3.54 before shipping.. :rofl:...

Really a new cable is like 17 bucks why bother besides unless you use silver solder it wont work. Regular rosin core solder will ball up and fall off.

If you degrease it and dip it into flux before you hit it with the solder it will work.  I did this 30 years ago and it is still in service.