Crankshaft Bolt removal...

bmacster

Got the hub and cover off today. I'd love to drop the oil pan but there does not seem to be any room to do it with the motor in the bay and the front differential, unless there is some trick I can't seem to figure out...

Yes, the diffeential has to be dropped out.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done what you just did. It's a pain in the ass. I didn't have as much trouble as you. I did the head gasket on it, a 4x4, and dropped the chain when I put the head back on. had to yard it all apart in the truck like that (no cherry picker at the time) in the oregon shitty weather.  Sideways rain, cold wind... Was able to get it done over two weekends.

If you have a cherry picker, use that next time.  It is more work but makes working on it a lot easier.  Plus you can pop in a new rear main seal, oil pan gasket & such with ease.

• Like 1

(sigh) oil pan gasket fell out during the install. Didn't see it until after I was in the process of reinstalling the crankshaft pulley and moved a drip pan out of the way....

967120_10151592331593898_1364096359_o.jp

Has happened to me ,,  i have also scrunched the head gasket putting cover back on to... Had to buy a new head gasket and cut just the end off.... What i'm saying is we have almost all been where your at at some point in the past.  good to see posts that tell the truth rather than ,,, i am the greatest ever, 

keep up the fight man we're all pulling for you.

• Like 1

I've done what you just did. It's a pain in the ass. I didn't have as much trouble as you. I did the head gasket on it, a 4x4, and dropped the chain when I put the head back on. had to yard it all apart in the truck like that (no cherry picker at the time) in the oregon shitty weather.  Sideways rain, cold wind... Was able to get it done over two weekends.

If you have a cherry picker, use that next time.  It is more work but makes working on it a lot easier.  Plus you can pop in a new rear main seal, oil pan gasket & such with ease.

Next year or two when I do a more proper tear down of the truck to the frame, I'll have everything out of the truck =D

And one thing I'll say, I am glad all of this is happening, I wouldn't have learned otherwise. Plus, when it comes to doing the 510 some day, I'll have some good experience of what to do and what not to do =D Basically all of this work and torture is so when that project rolls up to me, I'll be a bit more prepared.