Run. Tune-up. No Run

I have a 79 1.5l 4-speed. It ran with a slight miss since I got the car about 6 months ago. I just replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. now it won't start. I put the old wires rotor and cap back on and it still wont start. plugs have been regapped. 1 old plug wasn't even firing. im fixing to put the old plugs back in. I need this car to run. I work 2 jobs and have an 8 month old son. Bad plugs? I don't know where to begin to get the car to atleast start and run. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's obviously something you touched, so that narrows it down a bit. Since you messed with plug wires, I would make sure your coil wiring is correct. You could have wired it wrong or accidentally knocked a wire loose.

Check for spark at the spark plugs. Give the ignition a couple turns with a plug in the wire and touching a strut tower bolt. If no spark, check for spark at the coil-dizzy wire. That should half split the system to help isolate it.

Also check your firing order. Easy to mess up. 1 3 4 2 CCW.

If you have spark at all plugs then you might have fuel issues. Once again, might have knocked something loose around the carb. Check for unplugged hoses/wires around the carb. Make sure the fuel filter has fuel in it as we'll as the sight glass on the carb.

im going through the multiple teardown manuals now. i dont have a lot of my electronic testing tools anymore. they were stolen a few months ago.little spark on all cylinders. coil pack maybe? everything on carb is in place. carb was rebuilt about 2 years ago. this car has been a daily driver for about that long. never any problems. it takes 10 to 20 pumps 1st thing in the morning. after that it always starts right up. the #1 plug was cracked and corroded. it sputters like it wants to start. 1 3 4 2 ccw is the firing order. the #1 cylinder is the front of the car. got that. why would it run with a very slight miss because of a rundown plug. ive put all the old parts back on and still the same thing. AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!