1971 Fairlady Z

Sparta

Well I've been reading Ratsun for a while now, but never bothered to create an account or talk. I'll use this thread as my introduction.

I've always wanted a 240z. I would always check Craigslist, dreaming of owning one of my own. Never found the right one until recently..

Previous owner is a painter, so of course this car had an extremely well done paint job.

nicks_fairlady_04102013_1_.JPG

nicks_fairlady_04102013_2_.JPG

It's actually a Fairlady Z! Not a RHD swap. Car came complete with import papers from Yokohoma to the Port of Tacoma. 

nicks_fairlady_04102013_3_.JPG

Previous owner already swapped out the original engine. It now has an L28 w/ a 5 speed transmission.

nicks_fairlady_04102013_5_.JPG

JDM wheels... Hayashi streets!

nicks_fairlady_04102013_4_.JPG

The purchase (lots of small problems):

When I first went to look at this car I immediately fell in love with it, which was unfortunate because during the test drive the car repeatedly died. Previous owner said it was most likely vapor lock and would be a quick fix (he had removed the fuel return line), but I wasn't so sure.. On top of the car running poorly there were some other minor issues: Tach didn't work. Spedometer didn't work. A clunk in the back whenever going over a bump. All minor issues... hopefully.

First drive as owner:

After making the purchase I decided to brave the road with Wolf Man tailing me in his truck. It was terrifying and thrilling all in one. The car is quick when it wants to go and handles smoothly. Ha.. oh and it only died about 6 times on the way home! Wolf Man almost had to help push me through an intersection once, but the Fairlady started up just in time to get me through. People behind were none too happy though...

Issues and fixes so far:

I was sent to Japan for work a week after buying the car (still am in Nagoya), so I did not have time to do too much work on the car unfortunately.

Best thing so far, with Wolf Man (although partial credit goes to his buddy Dave) was fix the sudden dying issue. After playing with fuel lines, fuel filter, and doing basic checks of the SU carbs we were almost ready to give up on it being an easy problem. Wolf man called Dave to see if he had a spare "matchbox for the distributor" or any other advice. He reminded Wolf man that he should have at least one spare in his garage. When we finally unbolted the ignition module from the Fairlady, it looked like it had been dipped in salt water for an extensive period of time. We quickly swapped in a "new' one and started up the car. Runs perfectly now! B)

I'm in Japan until May, but can't wait to get back to continue working on my new car.

Wolf man thinks I should go all out and drop an RB26 into it. It's already had one engine swap done, so no point in staying fully classic, right? It also came with the original ZG nose (no hinge though). I'm thinking I'll try to put that back on someday.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

-Sparta

• Like 3
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty awesome man, I'm very curious to know what you paid :-)

If rb26 I personally would do itb or dcoe with long sweeping headers like something out of rockyauto. 

Nice Sparta!!!!!!!!!   It's going to be a great build thread!!  Here are some pics I took of the first drive. 

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

and one of us at work, talk about a awesome collection of cars to see in the work parking lot.  

IMG_2885.jpg

I got one more, Carter taking it for a spin around work.

IMG_2896.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Good looking Z!! That shifter is serious.

Ya. Pretty ridiculous.. It's like a truck shifter almost. Hard to see, but that clear plastic piece at the top has a fly fishing lure in it. Supposedly there is a light in it too, but I haven't tracked down the wires yet.

Formula D is stupid if you ask me, Thats a nice z though, wish the spoiler fit right, in the pics it looks like its not lined up with the center piece at all. Would also like to know what you paid.

I wish the spoiler fit was right too... I'm told the previous owner sold the original spoiler. Don't know why... The spoiler is rotated slightly because it is cracked in the bottom right mounting hole. Also, most of the bolts go in to the hatch at a 45deg angle because the new spoiler didn't quite match up with the old holes properly... Oh well cosmetic fix that can come later maybe.

Japan questions: I don't think you would like sitting in a suit case for 10 hours. Hard enough to sit in a seat that long. Talk to the TSA? Maybe they will let us try it.

Price questions: Maybe if we meet in person some day I'll tell you :P. I'm happy with the price I paid. I think I got a great deal on a running RHD early z car.

More pictures coming shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to investigate the noise in the suspension further. After a little bit of work I was able to fold the strut out with the assistance of a spring compressor.

20130506_182910.jpg

Everything looked good except for the threads at the top of the insert.

20130506_182939.jpg

I guess not having a fully secured nut allowed the threads to totally rub away. Bummer..

It got worse though, the insert no longer functioned and oil was leaking out of the bottom.

20130506_182924.jpg

Time to order new ones! Decided to order two. I wanted to ensure that they are were the same. Also if one insert was blown already who knew how the other would look.

Well I waited for the new KYB struts to come in from Amazon I decided to focus on the electrical issues/gauge issues.

The more I pull the worse it gets...

13+-+1.JPG

This could take a while to diagnose. Lots of wires going everywhere. Many not connected. Fun fun.

Lets move to the center console.

20130515_172752.jpg

The previous owner had an unwired DVD player sitting in the radio spot. I pulled that out and set it in the garage. Maybe I'll use it later? A DVD player in a 40yo car seems dumb to me...

Fuse box cover is all Japanese. Cool, but not helpful.. Anyone know if it is exactly the same as the US 240z?

13+-+1.JPG

Bottom looks cleaner than i expected. Looks like I won't be needing a newer fuse box (yet).

20130515_192857.jpg

Lots of work to do on the wiring. Found a broken solder point in the the steering column, which made the head lights run. Still no luck on the gauges or the battery drain. Need to keep chasing wires.

Other random pictures:

Uncracked dash!

20130503_155224.jpg

Nasty glove box. The cardboard insert has held up better than I would have expected.

20130510_153935.jpg

Factory holes in the trunk floor:

20130503_154224.jpg

ahh Geoffs old fairlady, nice buy!! wolfman you have the coolest iphone case ever...

Thanks!  A buddy from Canada got if for me, as a thank you for heading down south and getting some skyline wheels for him.  I like the case too, when I get an iPhone 5 I'm going to have to get a RB valve cover phone case for it :) 

• Like 1