s14-sr20 swap???? into 2dr 510

Kalae Sylva

i jus got a 1973 2dr bre style 510 fully fiberglass except the doors & roof it has split sunroof custom back bumper 2 much amazing things 2 list

also came with a full s14 set up but......

would i need 2 weld?

do i need custom mounts??

i have everyhting as far as motor harness computer trans  but would it be a headache?

cause i also have another 1970 2dr 510 rusted major!!! with a clean l20b bored +30 over was thinking of jus pulling that & dropping it in...

im learning more everyday as im new 2 the old skool 

started in the honda/acura game

any tips/info please lmk aloha!!!!

i will post pictures later

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. everything you learned doing hondas... should prob just forget right now.

Datsuns are not a bolt on affair.

2. dont use numbers as words. no one takes you seriously when you do that.

search button is your friend.

a long done and well documented swap.

Whoa, all the HI people coming out of the woodworks.  How long ago did you pick this up?  A friend of mine was trying to sell his s13 and somebody offered him an S14 powered 510 as a trade.

Is the SR turbo or NA?  Skib is right, research till yours eyes bleed.  The research some more.  95% of the people on here will say run the L20b since it will drop in and run vs. a lot of little bits and pieces that will be needed for the SR swap.

i jus got a 1973 2dr bre style 510 fully fiberglass except the doors & roof it has split sunroof custom back bumper 2 much amazing things 2 list

also came with a full s14 set up but......

would i need 2 weld?

do i need custom mounts??

i have everyhting as far as motor harness computer trans  but would it be a headache?

cause i also have another 1970 2dr 510 rusted major!!! with a clean l20b bored +30 over was thinking of jus pulling that & dropping it in...

im learning more everyday as im new 2 the old skool 

started in the honda/acura game

any tips/info please lmk aloha!!!!

i will post pictures later

OK to say 2dr but that's it.

Install L20B and enjoy your ride. While driving your 510 you need to learn all about your 510 and Datsun drive trains first. This SR swap is going to take 6 months and several thousand dollars to do and is not for a noob. Hell it's not easy for someone who has already done one. NOTHING fits. Everything must be custom made and are 'one offs'. There are few 'kits' for this if at all.

The worst thing you can do is start this project without a full understanding of what you are getting into. Ask questions of people that have installed one, not paid to have one installed.

Are you prepared, really committed to spend the time needed to complete this or will you pass this car on yet again to the next unprepared person? Do you have the use of a garage close by that is secure and available for months? An hour or two per night every day and weekends?

Do you have tools? A welder is absolutely necessary.

Do you have several thousand dollars and more to spend on what's needed for this? Do you have a job? A g/f?

Do you have a plan? Is it coldly realistic?... or mostly guess work and dreams rolled up in one?

This swap is going to severely tax the 510's 40 year old steering, suspension and braking technology of 1970. You are going to need a brake up grade with larger calipers and vented rotors. Probably lowered slightly on firmer springs. Likely wider rims and some newer tires.

The SR will require a high pressure fuel pump for the EFI. Likely an in tank or in line pump.

The R160 differential is barely adequate for SR power. A 280z/zx R-180 would be a better choice. LSD would really help get the power to the ground but not totally necessary.

The driveshaft will need to be shortened ans balanced for the longer SR 5 speed.

The rear transmission mount modified to fit the new 5 speed.

Shifter hole in floor moved back and or modified.

Speed sensor converted so you can run your 510 in dash speedometer.

The entire exhaust system replaced. What worked 40 years ago on an L16 won't do for an SR. Too small, too rusty.

Front crossmember modified/replaced to clear the SR oil pan.

Stock sway bar will now not fit so a custom one is needed.

Custom motor mounts made. Possibly you can buy them.

Custom radiator needed.

The SR has an electronic EFI that needs to be assembled and wired into the 510 electrical system. For this there is a kit I believe.

What takes seconds to type can take months of work to finish installing. For every item I have listed there are probably three more un thought of ones that will come up. Research, research, research!

When I sold it, the L20b that was in it was suppose to still be good, had some head work, a cam and some race springs in it, suppose to have the Mallory dual point distributor on it, and I still have a brand new cap, rotor, capacitors, and points for that

I think everyone gets overwhelmed about the project, I think it is safe to say that putting that SR in the 510, would require quite a bit of fabrication skill, and quite a bit of money, when I had it, I was estimating about $15k to get it close to finished

For $15K you could pay someone else to do it for you.

Where's the fun in that?

You also have to remember that us Ratsuners in Hawaii have to pay a lot more for shipping than the continental US guys.  For every $100 I spend on parts it probably costs me at least $20-30 to ship it here.  I found an SR (n/a) that I want for $900 but after shipping it's gonna be $1450. Sucks.

Where's the fun in that?

You also have to remember that us Ratsuners in Hawaii have to pay a lot more for shipping than the continental US guys.  For every $100 I spend on parts it probably costs me at least $20-30 to ship it here.  I found an SR (n/a) that I want for $900 but after shipping it's gonna be $1450. Sucks.

Right!  Cost over a grand just to get your dime there :poke:

• Like 1

Drop the L20 in, faster, cheaper, with the overbore probably makes pretty good power. If you wanted it'd make as much or more than a normally aspirated SR with a good head and some mikunis... 

Plus, SRs are kind of boring. You need to do something radical to make it really stand out.

Feels like there are more modern swaps out there now than built L-series motors.... stick with the L in my opinion, they purr like kittens.  

:rofl:

I google and find your thread every now and then. Should post some updates and moar pictures, please!! 

I'll try.  Not too much going on with the wagon.  Just been cruising around with it a lot.  She runs like a champ!