Rear Transmission Driveline Seal leaking

datsa73

So my tranny started leaking fluid last week.

Its a 5 speed 720 pickup transmission in my 1973 1200. I previously had the Z24 motor in it but now the KA24DE. I had the car running for about a week when it started to leak tranny fluid. I'm using the GL4 gear oil filled to the plug level.

So I pulled the Driveline off and replaced the seal. Again it leaked.

Thought maybe I installed it incorrectly so I put another one in. Again it leaked. I checked the Driveline shaft and it looks fine. I blew air through the breather and it was not clogged. I replaced it a 3rd time with no change. Shaft diameter matches the specs on the seal. I have no vibrations when driving it.

It drips from the output shaft seal only when the car has been in gear and driving.

I just can't figure this thing out.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use some kind of sealant on the OD, if that doesn't fix it, then you'll need a speedy sleeve. There may be a slight groove in the yoke where the spring in the seal could have worn the drive shaft.

I don't think you need sealant on the outside of the rubber seal.  Maybe a light coating of oil would do the trick. For the inner, you should do the same to prevent it from dry spin when you first drive the car.

Best stuff I have EVER used recommended by Micromachinery, is something at napa called Syl-Glide (spelling).  You just put some on the inside of the seal & forget it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sil-Glyde-Silicone-Lubricating-Compound-Ounce/dp/B0054DWS1W

I always use a decent amount, probably more than needed. But have never had a leaky seal or issue to date in 2 years of using this product.

What I have found is the new seals are thinner so they seat further back into the transmission. This places the seal lips on a fresh clean unworn part of the driveshaft.

Maybe the transmission case is scratched and the oil is getting past the seal to case surface? Maybe clean with brake cleaner to degrease it and apply a sealer on it before seating the seal in?

With my transmission, the seal only goes in flush. If I press it in farther, it interferes with that aligning bushing that slips around the Driveline shaft. Would it be possible that oil could leak from around the moving mechanism of the gear shifter. Not out of the boot but around that area. I'll get some of that Napa stuff.