paint/rust removal help

hello friends.... I am getting ready for some minor body work. I will admit, I can research but I thought it would help if I can thread this and monitor for progress. I have a piece of truck that has rust under the bondo. before I install a new window, I wanted to clean the rust off and rattle can it until I haz the moniez for a better paint job.

this is what I think im suppose to do and correct me if I am wrong...

-remove chunks of bondo

- wire wheel rust

- light sanding

- pre prep spray wipe off

- rust inhibitor rattle can

- self etching primer

- really light grit sanding

- rattle can to similar color

sound okay? any opinion or constructive criticism? thanks >>>>>>>>>>> remember, im looking for a quick fix and not professional grade do it yourself work. any help? :hug:

here are the pics:

2013-04-17171140.jpg

2013-04-17171204.jpg

2013-04-17171151.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can afford to do this, or borrow this it'd be better..  Get a compressor. If you only can find a 20 gallon on thats fine, get a reserve tank too, hook the compressor to the reserve, then your air off the reserve.. buy a cheap paint gun HVLP... Then epoxy primer.. Clean surface well, blow it off with the compressor, then hit it with epoxy primer. keep it from rusting and seal it up good.  PM the510keeper he's real good at this stuff..

My question is are you just trying to stop the rust ATM, because if you remove the bondo, it will not be smooth anymore, so your going to rattle can over the pitted metal?

Converted to datsun has it nailed, sand blasting will do the most, but if the metal is really rusty, it may blow holes all the way through the metal, either way, use a good quality rust inhibitor, is it just the drip rail?

Do you have it running?

He can use other media besides sand... Like walnut shell, or beads to help prevent blow thru yeah?

I don't know much about that stuff, but Jrock said he used walnuts I believe on my grill, but it still made holes, well made is not the correct word, one could see the holes better after cleaning the grill, as they were basically already there, but I knew that when I took it to him, I was just looking for a miracle, as the grill is really straight considering it condition.

Fact is, if it's rusted threw, it's rusted threw, one needs to remove all the rust if you don't want it to come back.

Wayno, the bondo was there prior, a chunk broke or fell off and it revealed this rust. I think that the body is pretty solid and walnut shelling the rust away will be the answer.

I bought 25lb of walnut shells and I like glass bead more for removing rust off parts I can put in the blast media box... so I have plenty of walnut shells to get rid of

Thanks for the help everyone.... I would have never thought of media blast and I have the stuff sitting right here. Do'h!

Charlie,

hello. thank you so much for the help on the carb. ;) i am looking forward to getting this truck back on the road. one step at a time i guess but thanks for all the help so far. seeing you build your truck has and is truly inspiration for pushing through on my project.

my first step, this rust.

i am going to try the walnut shells...or glass beads... still have to buy an air filter/water seperator but i keep with this route... i dont think the rust is bad enough that it will blow through. ill keep ya'll posted. ^_^

• 1 month later...

Try cleaning the area with a wire brush and blow off the dust with compressed air. Then you may have to remove the window to do this properly, feather all the paint edges to bare metal around the area to be treated mask off everything that needs to be protected. Go to miller paint, lowes, home depot ect, and get a bottle of a product called Jasco Prep and Prime or Jasco phosphoric acid. This is a rust remover/inhibitor/primer (still need to sand and prime after application with epoxy primer) . Pretty nasty stuff, chemical gloves, rubber apron, goggles and face shield, long sleeve shirt, are a good idea. Its a pain in the ass but worth it. Check out the website for more info.

wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=103&prodid=221