Blown head gasket?

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 1981 210 hatchback.. got it in really good condition with only 86k original miles.

The other day I took it up to the mountains to go for a little drive, got back down from the mountain and started seeing smoke -.- popped the hood and found that the fan/alt belt had snapped and my water pump went out. I found a water pump near my location and im getting ready to put it in.

Just need a little helpful information if you dont mind. :confused:  Is it a possibility that the head gasket blew from overheating? It sounds like it has a misfire at the moment and hesitates when I get on the throttle. I had this issue with my 240sx and it was a blown o-ring. However, i know that these symptoms can come from multiple different issues..

Any info would help! (if someone comments to "go look" you will be ignored.. Ive been sitting at school for the past 3 days on the computer trying to find some info.)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oil looked fine. no milkiness... probably shouldve stated that in the original post :P ill check the plugs on my lunch if i can find some tools and hopefully find a comp tester.

my main concern was that it was spraying antifreeze out of that water pump when i pulled over to check it.

was the steam coming from the mani side?  im guessing you have a wet intake, it may just be a just the manifold gasket.  either way, get your comp test done.  there is really no worst case scenario with an A motor, they are all pretty easy fixes

Awesome, ill take a look at all these and keep you guys posted. I'm almost positive it was steaming from from the antifreeze dropping on the mani. But that doesn't explain the hesitation that its giving me now. i would think even without the water pump and alternator it shouldn't run any different since its 6 degrees here...

Thanks everyone!!

But that doesn't explain the hesitation that its giving me now.

The coolant may have simply wet the wiring and got under the cap. Take it off and dry it and see if this fixes the problems.

Did you try this?