'73 Datsun 510 From --Namibia--

A while ago i got my hands on a Datsun 510 from a 92 year old lady who has had it since new... Its a L16 Automatic Deluxe.. I got it with a faulty brake booster and a few leaks here and there.. But the story goes on as this young gentleman tries to make this datsun look good and drive superb on a tight budget! ▶▶WATCH THIS SPACE◀◀

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed the Brakes By Reconditioning The Brake Booster.. With That out of the way i could start enjoying the 510.. Until i noticed the temperature rising to HOT!!,, With failing to understand why it was overheating, i went on to redo the cylinder head, and change a few parts as i work along... 

engine.jpg

Cylinderhead was redone, and i still had an overheating issue,, went on to install an aftermarket electric fan to the front of the radiator to assist in cooling.. After struggling to find an easy way to fit the 10"inch electric fan, i just decided to remove the grill and front trim.

IMG_20130330_WA0000.jpg

And you wont beleive it still stuck with an overheating issue, never the less i didnt give up after buying some Radiator Flush i quickly set to cleaning out the system.. Left it to do its work overnight and in the morning signs of dirt releasing was visible but as the dirt at the top of the radiator went away, i noticed that the radiatore cores were blocked.. to such an extent that i could not even force a piece of thin plastic through it.. My next task was to remove the radiator and take it to my local radiator works and have them clean it for me.. 

• Like 1

The radiator works told me 2 days and my radiator will be back in my hands.. So i decided to keep myself busy while i wait.. I looked around at quite a few 510's on the net.. i found the perfect stance i want my car to be at.. but as most of the mods i looked through involved getting nissan 240 struts which i will never find in Namibia :( i set to the scrap yards looking for shorter springs.. I found some. And quickly set to instaling them. I got these springs from a 05 Hyundai Accent 1.5

springs.jpg

Finally Got her back on her wheels, put new shocks at the back and front. slightly shorter springs infront but not anywhere close to where i want it.. I want it either level completely or lower infront than the back.. If anyone can help me out, that wud be much appreciated. Anyways this my suspension setup. 

Rear : Standard Springs, Gabriel Gasryder Shocks "High"

Front : Stock Struts, Armstrong Shocks

height.jpg

I anyways still continued to do my engine bay. Painted Bay Matt Black, Tappet Cover, Ferguson Red, Piping in Blue, And All cables in Cable Sleeves. I think it looks rather good. Its not yet done as im waiting for a few parts to arrive from South Africa.

This was my first time using my compressor for anything other than pumping tires :P

IMG_20130403_WA0001.jpg

• Like 1

Thinking of changing my sealed beams to BMW e30 elipsoids, once again i cant find the lights at any scrap yard here, and buying new is not an option. Like i said im running on a rather tight budget. And my aim is to make this a daily work / home car

IMG_20130331_WA0000.jpg

Welcome to the site... So you bought it from one little old lady and it came with those rally window shields? That seems odd. Either way, the car looks great. 

What are your overall plans for it?

Lots of old cars in Namibia have those window shields, quite good when in rain :D i want to make it a daily drive. Keep it stock with the 3Speed Auto Transmission, Ive finished the engine work, now im concentrating on the wiring, for some reason my temp gauge isnt reading temperature. But the cabling to the gauge is 100% i tested it by connecting to the positive terminal and the gauge went all the way to "H"

So far this is how ive done my engine bay.

20130404_131656.jpg

• Like 1

It's too nice a car to run without the grill on it. Try to keep it all together.

BTW I see you have the early front fender markers. These are far and away the nicest looking ones. Here DOT rules made them change to ugly rectangular shape.

It's too nice a car to run without the grill on it. Try to keep it all together.

BTW I see you have the early front fender markers. These are far and away the nicest looking ones. Here DOT rules made them change to ugly rectangular shape.

:D I only removed the grill because im still working on the electric fan mount, and lights :)