'74 and then some

JNHEscher

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Slowly but surely. Yes those were nasty bearings. Black and gritty.

My center link and d shaft bearing came yesterday. I'm not sure how the shaft support will work out since its pulled out of the trans by an inch. When I was measuring for the rear links, my friend leaned against the tailgate and rolled the truck forward a bit. I didn't think anything of it, but turns out there was so much back lash in the gears that my measurement was an inch longer than it should have been. Not too big of a deal. Just makes the support mounting difficult.

D shaft bearing is in. The flap of rubber wrapped around the old bearing held the shaft better, but it doesn't look ghetto anymore.

New center link in. I'll get the toe adjusted tomorrow at ride height.

Master cylinder is off and the seals were shot. Ordering a Bendix rebuild in a few from RA, unless O'Reillys can get it tomorrow.

Feeling accomplished tonight as I get closer to licensing my ride.

Sweet newness!  New heater valve works great, and so does the heat.  The fan's low speed resistor is no good, though.  Went in O'Reilly's and picked out a random 3/4" heater hose with a 90 in it.  Last owner used a straight piece that was kinked.

IMG_20131201_123558_zps9567bb21.jpg

• Like 1

Got the headlights working.  Dirty contacts in the headlights switch wouldn't supply power to the relay, and then I found a loose wire on the relay for the low beams.  Patrick came over and I had him run the clutch pedal so that I could adjust the slave cylinder.  Perfect pedal feel now.

IMG_20131203_193032_zps938e1cd5.jpg

Went into O'Reilly's this morning to check on the brake master status.  The guy who I called didn't realize it was special order and required pre-payment.  So, it didnt get ordered.  Waiting another week. 

I didn't bother going through RA this time because I didn't want the hassle of returning parts if they were incorrect.  I've had enough trouble with their stuff on this since it seems there's a different manufacturer making the parts for each side of the vehicle.  Going to have to make my own tie rod for the right side.  They sent the correct side this time, but it's not the same manufacturer.  It has a larger diameter that rubs the air bag at full lock.

On a lighter note, the clutch is so smooth that I'm pretty sure I can get my wife to learn to drive a stick in this one.  L series have really good power for a 70's four-banger.

I love the progress!  Can't wait to see your reproduction parts too!

Two more days and I'm free to make parts happen.

Last part to make the suspension stable.  I chucked these bars in the lathe and turned it by hand while grinding them down to match the thread diameter.  Threaded and extra 3 inches so that they would work on the 620 mounts.

IMG_20131204_155332_zps2dda368f.jpg

Sweet newness!  New heater valve works great, and so does the heat.  The fan's low speed resistor is no good, though.  Went in O'Reilly's and picked out a random 3/4" heater hose with a 90 in it.  Last owner used a straight piece that was kinked.

IMG_20131201_123558_zps9567bb21.jpg

Under the dash, on the upper left side of the heater box is the fan resistor coil. You'll see two wires connected to it (Sorry I can't remember their color). The resistor coil is probably not connecting the terminals.  Take it out. You'll find that it's either burned up or, like mine, the connection has come apart. Maybe you can reattach it?  If you can't, you'll know which part you need to replace. 

It's your lucky day... Found this in my Ratsun forum travels... Here is a post w/ pic of what I was describing... I reattached mine with a machine screw and nut.

Like other heater fan problems, I had no low speed.

The resistor is located next to the fan motor on the side of the heater box. No screws, it just snaps in.

resistor unhooked, no low speed.

heaterfanresistorunhooked_zpsa50ee606.jp

resistor hooked back up, now both speeds on fan work.

heaterfanresistorhookedup_zps3c241a5e.jp

It's your lucky day... Found this in my Ratsun forum travels... Here is a post w/ pic of what I was describing... I reattached mine with a machine screw and nut.

Much appreciated. I was expecting to find a loose connection as that's what the majority of the electrical problems on my truck have been. I plan to get that fixed today. If the coil is burnt, I may look into a rheostat to wire into the full speed loop.