'74 and then some

JNHEscher

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used center links as my tie rods as well so that I could adjust all three. Searched and searched for offset ends and decided the tapered inserts to flip the ends wasn't going to work. So, I'm about to cut the ends at the pitman and idler arms, spread the cuts so that the rod moves away from the bags, then very slowly add welds. I'll get a few beads in place to hold it, then partially submerge them in water to dissapate the heat faster. I'll post plenty of pics of this mod.

My dad has been wanting to come out and help tinker on some old tin, so he stopped by today. We slotted the bolt holes from the drive shaft bearing and moved it back to a relaxed position. Topped off the trans oil. I was about to get it off the lift and take it for a spin with him, but the rubber fuel line at the tank started leaking. Replacing that in the morning and may attempt a drive in the 4" of snow that is coming down now.

Could you not have just gotten a longer tie rod and bent that instead of cutting and welding the ends?.....

Could have but, the bump steer was horrible. I wanted adjustability so that the tie rods could be set to travel in the same arc as the control arm. I would otherwise had to have hunted for the exact length rod and plan for a bend in it. Cutting and making offset ends turned out great.

Could have but, the bump steer was horrible. I wanted adjustability so that the tie rods could be set to travel in the same arc as the control arm. I would otherwise had to have hunted for the exact length rod and plan for a bend in it. Cutting and making offset ends turned out great.

Ok, I see what your saying now.  Nice job.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, a sunny, decent day without 30 mph winds. Pushed my truck out of the shop and into the sun. I took it for a test drive a few weeks ago. It was insanely cold and I had no windshield or passenger door on. Motor started hesitating like it had a misfire. Got worse every time I restarted it. The fuel had been in the tank since the summer and was begining to smell like varnish.

The motor seemed to be flooding, so I pulled and cleaned the plugs, unhooked fuel lines and opened the throttle to let it dry. Plugs were black and wet. Once dry, I got it revved up good on starting fluid. Need to replace all the rubber lines again with 1/4" ID, along with route the return line to the evap line. Got busy on my Toyota since its been so freakin cold. I'm ready for spring weather to motivate me.

Tightened up my steering box today, too. Had about 25° of play in the wheel before the wheels would budge. Try driving like that on ice! I might my fuel lines done tonight, but I once again have to make repairs on the wife's Subaru.

Fire and attack mode. The sun was out and there was hardly a breeze, so I didn't have defrost at the fire too much. This took a lot of shifting

a jack and blocks around. Lots of hammering at the jack and blocks, as well. Everything kept freezing to the ground.

IMG_20140128_113514_zps7k5cumjr.jpg

I got everything unbolted and started dropping the trans. It gets stuck against the exhaust. The floor boards were so rotted out that I just lifted them up to access the crossmember bolts. I may just rip up the console and snip through the trans hump to pull it. Seems easier.

IMG_20140128_131446_zpslpkckqys.jpg

Incredibly rotted metal makes for an easy steal. Got the trans out and did a quick tear down. Pretty gooey gunk it it, but otherwise in very good shape. Spotted the salvage yard scripture when I started opening the floor. Whoever installed this trans didn't torque any of the crossmember or bell housing bolts. Made it easy on me. Gonna give the insides a kerosine bath and slap it back together. I brought the one-piece ds back to the shop. If its an easy swap I'll use it.

IMG_20140129_115121_zpske1jan2v.jpg

IMG_20140129_125128_zpso015sf9n.jpg

IMG_20140129_130238_zpssm981mb2.jpg

IMG_20140129_165122_zpsafkubh2v.jpg

The 720 is 3/'81. Has a Z20 and five speed. I stumbled upon it when walking through the woods in the back of the property we stay at. Its what I got all the front suspension from that I put on my 620. Its not mine, but I was given the go-ahead to strip it for any part I wanted. The pile of vehicles in back belonged to various employees of David's, (who owns the house we're in). They owed him some money so they each left him a vehicle. They've been back there at least ten years. I got lucky with the Datsun.

My truck's drive train is mostly stock, aside from having an L20 that replaced the blown L18 it originally had. It seriously needs an overdrive. I can cruise at 25mph in fourth right now. Id get run the hell over on the highway. I live five minutes from the 63 and I70 interchange. 70 is one of the most travelled roads in the country and nobody slows down for ya.

I know your turf.  I used to drive through there all the time when I lived in Waynesville and drove to visit my parents near Lawrence.  My wife was stationed at Ft. "LostNtheWoods".  It's pretty country down your way.  I don't miss it right now though.  We're having warmer/dryer weather than you guys!!