Speedometer cables.

EdwardK

Okay, so I'm having to piece together a couple of different kits to make my speedometer cable work. (The key that goes into the transmission is gone, I guess the PO took it out.)

I found a cable for a 610 that is supposed to have the same key, so I ordered that and I'm waiting for it to show up.

Does oil or transmission fluid come out of where the key goes into the tranny? Can I drive it around without the cable in? I'm getting sick of pulling it out and putting it back in repeatedly. I also want to here an answer to this question because there are some cracks in the cable housing that are not watertight. Don't wanna be losing tranny fluid yah know?

Thanks again guys!

-Edward K. A.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you drive it without at least an intact cable shroud, you're risking getting water in the transmission.  The speedometer drive is not sealed and does have gear oil up at it (to lube the plastic drive cog).  So yes, it will leak if not at least capped off.  The oil level is actually below it, but the spinning gears will force oil out if you drive with it open.

The cable end is extremely common.  Every 70s Datsun and even most late 60s and early 80s all use the same ends.  The difference is the length of the cable.  ANY speedometer shop should be able to make you a new cable, but you also need the shroud.  They can make that too.

Okay, so I'm having to piece together a couple of different kits to make my speedometer cable work. (The key that goes into the transmission is gone, I guess the PO took it out.)

I found a cable for a 610 that is supposed to have the same key, so I ordered that and I'm waiting for it to show up.

Does oil or transmission fluid come out of where the key goes into the tranny? Can I drive it around without the cable in? I'm getting sick of pulling it out and putting it back in repeatedly. I also want to here an answer to this question because there are some cracks in the cable housing that are not watertight. Don't wanna be losing tranny fluid yah know?

Thanks again guys!

-Edward K. A.

The 610 will likely be long enough as it does have a long 4 speed in it. The key I call the little metal piece that bolts to the case and aligns and holds the speedometer pinion in place.

SpeedoMod1.jpg

speedoB.jpg

The cable end has a ferule crimped on the end that fits and locks to the pinion drive gear. There is a rubber hat shaped seal to prevent trans oil from auguring up the inside cable and dripping onto the floor under the dash.

Speedocable006Large.jpg

You can wrap the outer sheath with electrical tape to temporarily keep shit out.

If you drive it without at least an intact cable shroud, you're risking getting water in the transmission.  The speedometer drive is not sealed and does have gear oil up at it (to lube the plastic drive cog).  So yes, it will leak if not at least capped off.  The oil level is actually below it, but the spinning gears will force oil out if you drive with it open.

The cable end is extremely common.  Every 70s Datsun and even most late 60s and early 80s all use the same ends.  The difference is the length of the cable.  ANY speedometer shop should be able to make you a new cable, but you also need the shroud.  They can make that too.

That's what I figured. I threw it back in before driving around just to be on the safe side. I'm glad I did too!

The 610 will likely be long enough as it does have a long 4 speed in it. The key I call the little metal piece that bolts to the case and aligns and holds the speedometer pinion in place.

The cable end has a ferule crimped on the end that fits and locks to the pinion drive gear. There is a rubber hat shaped seal to prevent trans oil from auguring up the inside cable and dripping onto the floor under the dash.

You can wrap the outer sheath with electrical tape to temporarily keep shit out.

Yeah, the PO definitely screwed some stuff up messing with the cable. The cable was full of transmission fluid. This also explains the oil on my instrument cluster. Perhaps I should check the transmission fluid levels now. No telling how long that was going on for...

If the 620 cable doesn't fit I'll definitely wrap it in electrical tape until I have the bread for a new cable. 

That 'top hat' is what seals the oil out of the cable.

Yeah. It's gone. Wasn't there to begin with, that's why I had oil all up in the cable. :/ 

Like I said, there's no telling how long it's been missing for. I'm gonna check the transmission fluid soon.

• 2 weeks later...

ive noticed my 620 leaking at the speedo cable when sitting. theres always a nice puddle under the truck. I haven't driven it since it since it was delivered in January, but im getting parts slowly. i'll check lube level when I get it on the rack to do brakes.

Non bold Arial font and # 14 size is easy on the eyes.

There is an O ring around the speedo pinion inside the case that may run along a dangling cable and drip. Maybe. The little 'top hat' seal I can't find separate and probably comes with a new cable assy. A small piece of neoprene trimmed with scissors and a small hole for the cable could work. (rubber will dissolve)

I ordered a universal cable from napa, 14 dollars, plus 8 shipping. I too am missing the key, spoken of above. does anyone have a spare they could send usps?

I bought a cable for a 510... I forget what year model... When I get home I'll dig up that receipt and let you know. It looks slightly different and is about four or five inches longer that the cable for the truck. But I payed like $20 for the entire thing. Instead of $70 for the one for the P/U.

That's the only way I know to get a new key is to buy a whole new assembly.

• 10 years later...

Does anyone know if it is okay to fill the trasnsmission fluid through there? My fill plug is not coming off anytime soon and it absolutley mangled so I am trying to get an alternate way to get some fluid in the transmission. Does anyone know if it is okay to fill the trasnsmission fluid through there? My fill plug is not coming off anytime soon so I am trying to get an alternate way to get some fluid in the transmission. Or if anyone has any other suggestions im all ears! Thank you! 

It's pretty low for filling. The reverse light switch directly to the rear of the clutch arm might work. It's also pretty close to the fill bung height on the opposite side. The 71B takes 2 liters. Don't over fill, it will only foam and blow out the breather.