pinging?...Not pinging then what is it?!

Stupid_fast

I cant get rid of it...

Its an L20b with a 490 lift/ 281 duration cam advanced about 3 deg.  Other than cam and valve springs its a stock motor.

Under 3500rpm, it will ping at anything but light throttle.  Top end runs fine 3500 to 6000 pulls strong. 

It did it with the weber DGV(less severe) and now on my R1 carb setup.

I can make the carb so rich its losing power and barely accelerating, and it still pinging.

I can retard the timing back 4-6 degrees and it will not change how it pings.

Running a matchbox dizzy and coil.  NGK BP5EY.

Compression is about 150psi across all four cylinders.

I'm running 91 octane.

Any ideas?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is NOT valve noise.

I do have valve tick at idle from the big cam, and I know what it sounds like when its worse. 

Timing 8 deg @ 1000rpm no vac advance.

Went for a quick drive around the block. 

Ah and an excuse to try out my new fish eye lens for my phone !

VIDEO/sound clip;

http://youtu.be/Sx8uzggHSCo

Double clutching like I should @ 1:23.

If this sound is not pinging, what is it?

@ Wayno,

There is a ticking/pinking noise when I'm going up those hills or throttling in 3rd along that road ...

Then when I open it up higher RPM it goes away.

No suspension? Hahah, well I've got 200lb front springs illumina shocks, ect .. its quite stiff but there is definitely a good amount of travel.

Also those roads are very bumpy... Even my cressida clunks along. 

They are quad motorbike / SU-style carbs. 

Im not really hearing anything either, but definitely liking the vid!

Just curious, what is your gap set at?  Chances are it could be pretgnition and not detonation you're hearing.  Might try a tighter gap on the plugs, and if nothing with that a step colder plug might get you in the right direction. 

Fancy pants.......driving gloves and all.... :D

I'd probably buy a wide band and confirm what A/F ratio you are running below 3500

The Innovate I bought helped quite a bit on tuning carbs and or...etc....etc

Excellent product for noobs with limited tech 'equipment'..... :D

What do the plugs look like after running...?.....check them after just cruising....and then WOTish

Cam is in  No3 hole?

Lash clearance is set at....?.....

Timing seems a little low.....

Other than my co-pilots.....notice the wide band in vid.....?

So the CR isn't that high, he is running 91, so what would be your guess.

I made a hanggliding trip down to east LA several years ago, I had a stock L20b block with a CC W53 head with big valves that was port matched to the dual SU manifold, basically a 219 head, I put california 89 octane fuel in that tank because the passenger was complaining about having to buy premium, I almost had to empty the tank, it was knocking so bad, I pulled the vacuum advance hose, and retarded the distributor a lot, I got threw that tank and got back home with the engine still intact, and that was when I realized that I could run regular if the timing was set properly.

California fuel is crap, they are lucky that an old engine will run on that crap, I suppose that is a good reason to do modern engine swaps down there, because they are made to run on that crap.

I can hear it in the video, but I can honestly say it doesn't sound like pinging from what I hear.

My 210 made a similar noise from the mechanical fuel pump before it started to fail. It would get worse at higher RPM's. Just a thought. Can you hear it at idle? Maybe get a cheap stethoscope from the autoparts store and listen to the cylinders?? 

Im not really hearing anything either, but definitely liking the vid!

Just curious, what is your gap set at?  Chances are it could be pretgnition and not detonation you're hearing.  Might try a tighter gap on the plugs, and if nothing with that a step colder plug might get you in the right direction. 

Gap set at 0.035

I either heard the phone bouncing or something worse then pinging. To me sounds like the ame noise in my motor and discribed the same way. I think mine is a bearind know or piston skirt.

Phone is mounted in the seat head rest, so there is no rattle there.

ame noise ? 

Fancy pants.......driving gloves and all.... :D

I'd probably buy a wide band and confirm what A/F ratio you are running below 3500

The Innovate I bought helped quite a bit on tuning carbs and or...etc....etc

Excellent product for noobs with limited tech 'equipment'..... :D

What do the plugs look like after running...?.....check them after just cruising....and then WOTish

Cam is in  No3 hole?

Lash clearance is set at....?.....

Timing seems a little low.....

Other than my co-pilots.....notice the wide band in vid.....?

Yeah I got the driving gloves for christmas ... feels great with the leather wheel.

Cam @ no3 hole ? I think so. Its just a tad advanced.

last set to 0.08 and 0.010 hot.

What is your CR?

Not sure honestly... ~160psi cranking comp

So the CR isn't that high, he is running 91, so what would be your guess.

I made a hanggliding trip down to east LA several years ago, I had a stock L20b block with a CC W53 head with big valves that was port matched to the dual SU manifold, basically a 219 head, I put california 89 octane fuel in that tank because the passenger was complaining about having to buy premium, I almost had to empty the tank, it was knocking so bad, I pulled the vacuum advance hose, and retarded the distributor a lot, I got threw that tank and got back home with the engine still intact, and that was when I realized that I could run regular if the timing was set properly.

California fuel is crap, they are lucky that an old engine will run on that crap, I suppose that is a good reason to do modern engine swaps down there, because they are made to run on that crap.

Meh cali fuel works.... 

I can hear it in the video, but I can honestly say it doesn't sound like pinging from what I hear.

My 210 made a similar noise from the mechanical fuel pump before it started to fail. It would get worse at higher RPM's. Just a thought. Can you hear it at idle? Maybe get a cheap stethoscope from the autoparts store and listen to the cylinders?? 

Then what is it? I'm not sure how to describe it.  It sounds like a rattle or something but it comes from the engine/ engine bay..

I just went to a meet and had iforgethisscreenname CA18 turbo guy ride in, he said it didnt sound like pinging ...

at idle? no.  I will get a stethoscope. 

Its an elec fuel pump now with the r1 setup.

I realise doing this on a bridge with speed strips was probably a bad idea now that I think back... lol

But you can hear it better in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M8mdAA65FA&feature=youtu.be

Dad rode in it... He says it does not sound like pinging ...

Alright ...

If it were in fact pinging, advancing the timing would make it much louder, correct?

I may try to adv the timing to like 15 or 18 deg and see what it sounds like. 

My mechanic friend maybe be able to take a ride in it sometime this week ... thanks for the info everyone.

yes pinging should inrease increase if timing is advance, cheap gas also causes engines to ping or using too low of an octane when what is needed is like 91 or so..seems like your trying to isolate the issue.

Put it at 12deg, no change.

I'm running 91, never ran anything lower.

If you can tell its not pinging you can also tell if its backfiring  in the exhaust. That sounds internal to me.

Maybe its un burned gas under load in the low end ?

I know its strange, but when I increased the jets with my old carb it made the noise slightly worse.

With this carb, when I put rich jets in it just ran bad, no change in noise.

It only happens in torque, under load.  its a consistent noise. 

I really just don't know what to try next.  Probably going to end up taking it to a shop