Thermostat Housing Aftermarket Water Guage Issues

datson4life

im about finished with all the wiring and ran into this issue, i bought aftermarket thermostat guage (Equus) and the thread fits right into the thermostat housing but if i  tightened down the sensor in housing all the way it leaves play, so its gonna leak.. this is for an l16 thermostat housing, i went to every autoparts store and hardware and can figure anything out, how did u deal with this issue if u have after market guage????

datsunalmostready004_zps26282fd7.jpg

the thread is the same, but notice the size difference where fitting holds sensor, the new one (left) is a few ants shorter and leaves space for leaks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can stack up some washers to make the difference, but you will have to use sealant if you do it that way...unless you can get your hands on some AN washers. They are soft metal and will squish to make the seal. The right way to do it obviously is to machine a spacer.

those threads dont look the same, a lot of Japanese cars used BSPT threads, not NPT like your gauge sender, what model etc is the gauge, I ran into this issue ion my 86 accord, there isnt usually an NPT thread anywhere on a japanese engine, im thinking the housing is aluminum right? the correct thing to do is to take something like an NPT aluminum coupler , used as an adapter in AN plumbing, and tig weld it on to the housing, if I knew the thread, I could machine one in half for you if I can find one, then you qwould have to find someone to weld it on   

you should be able to use some red sealant and tighten it snug.   does it thread all the way to the nut?

i over tighten an aftermarket sender and snapped the housing  so my sender is only being held by about 3 threads its been that way for about a year and a half now there is not that much pressure in that area 

DSC_0961.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

and it has never leaked

those threads dont look the same, a lot of Japanese cars used BSPT threads, not NPT like your gauge sender, what model etc is the gauge, I ran into this issue ion my 86 accord, there isnt usually an NPT thread anywhere on a japanese engine, im thinking the housing is aluminum right? the correct thing to do is to take something like an NPT aluminum coupler , used as an adapter in AN plumbing, and tig weld it on to the housing, if I knew the thread, I could machine one in half for you if I can find one, then you qwould have to find someone to weld it on   

That thread is not a tapered thread. Neither NPT or BSP.

You don't have to weld anything on. Just add a spacer.

Does the threaded sleve come off.?  1967 410 and 411 and first generation 510 sensors were identical except that the 510 had a metric thread [or maybe that British pipe thread].  The solution was to slip the threaded unit off the 410 or 411, buy an early 510 sensor, throw away its threaded section and reuse the old standard collar from your existing car = you KNOW it fits!