Clutch kit for L20B

I found clutch kit for my 521 at rockauto.com. I have l20b and I know they started putting them in the 620's. well here's the problem.... the kit that is showing up doesn't match my original clutch parts. Can you put a 1970 4 speed tranny with a l20b engine? because that's the only one that is matching up with 200mm disc. And I think that's the tranny I have on my truck. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a clutch kit to match your flywheel.  L20Bs had 2 different size flywheels- cars had 200mm, trucks had 225mm.  The 521 had a 200mm originally with the L16.  But what came with the L20B is a toss up.  And no, you can't use the L16 flywheel on the L20B (6 bolts vs 5 bolts).  The transmission will work, BUT you have to use all the throwout parts (throwout collar, bearing) to match the clutch/flywheel combo, not the transmission.

• Like 1

What head is on that L20B? Look between the first and second spark plugs down where the head and block meet. If U67 it could be a 610/710 or early A10 (200sx) up through '77. If W58 it is a '78 or older motor and can only be an A10 (later HL510) or S10 (200sx) No other cars after '77 had that head.

This will narrow down your search. Likely all the 200mm clutch/PP and release collars will interchange.

I'm all f'ed up.....I didn't realize that the throw-out bearing came of the "mount". That's why when I was looking online to buy new clutch kit I couldn't find one that was correct.

photo24_zpsdf068c62.jpg

I ordered a new one along with fuel pump and throttle cable. this is all I need to get the beast running again. Sorry for all the misleading info. I got this shit now

• Like 1

Alright so I ordered this kit from orileys auto parts and it looks like the length on the throw-out bearing mount is a littlie bit longer? everything else matches up ie. clutch plate/ clutch disc . so im assuming that the throw-out bearing with/ mount are just after market and can be adjusted by the clutch cylinder rod thing?! as you can see from my previous post, the new throw-out bearing is like 1-1 1/2 inch longer. I have already hooked the tranny up to the engine block and everything fit just fine. I guess I will know when I start the engine for the first time.

If it ran properly before, keep and use the release collar you had before. Just press a new release bearing on it. This one....

photo24_zpsdf068c62.jpg

The clutch cannot be adjusted. The components are matched to the PP size. I can't explain why the kit came with a different collar size unless..

1/ you have the wrong collar to begin with. This is after all, a swapped motor.

2/ they have sent the wrong one which seems unlikely.

Well you're right... we will see when you try the clutch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this is not a dead thread yet... Not sure what you figured out, but I just ordered a clutch kit from Rock Auto for  my L20B (with a non dogleg 5 speed) and they shipped the right part number box with the wrong kit in it!  Because my set up is a Previous Owner Cluster Fumble, I often order parts only to find that they don't fit because somthing has been altered or customized. When I took my clutch kit out and compared it to what was on my L20B, the new stuff seemed puny and I instanlty assumed that my car had a larger than normal PP, 225 or 240mm.  After proper inspection, it turns out I DO have the expected 7 7/8" clutch. What was in the box was 7 1/16" plate to fit a 3/4" 18 spline shaft...

Long story short, don't assume you've been sent the right parts.  Rock Auto is usually great to deal with and they paid all shipping charges to make it right. I'm waiting for the right clutch to arrive. They said they would double check it and look inside the box before they ship it this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Healey, The throw out bearing "mount" was the main part in question. When I got the new kit it was a little bit longer than the original. I put it all back together a couple off weeks ago and drove it around for two days recently without any problems. So yeah, not sure what the PO had installed( if it was right or wrong), but the new bearing mount is working...