620 Dash Restoration - Tips?

AZhitman

My '77 620 dash is SHAGGED.  Huge chunk missing out of the pad, cracks, and the gauge surround is busted up.

Found a '79 620 with a fair dash, good surround, so I have them both sitting here on my bench, ready to make one good dash.

Planning to use a full dash cap, but I'd like to make sure EVERYTHING works first.

Anyone have any helpful tips for working on a 620 dash, and testing bulbs / gauges, aside from testing them IN the truck?

Thanks in advance, guys!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a picture and the pin out functions of a 521 combo meter.

Pinout.jpg

if you ground the pin marked "ground", and apply power to the "Ign Power In", grounding the "oil light", IGN (ALT) Light, makes those two lights come on.  Grounding "Fuel Sender" or "Temp Sender" makes those gauges go to full or hot.

With the ground still hooked up, applying power to "high beam", "Right turn", "Dash Lights", or "Left Turn" makes those light come on.

I do not have a 620.  You will have to figure out the connections on your 620, in a similar manner.

I have seen the cracks and missing chunks of a 521 dash filled with plastic auto body filler, then covered with a suitable vinyl.

Great stuff.

I'm lucky to have a wife that doesn't mind me laying out 2 dashes (and now a 12v battery) on the kitchen table for a week.  :)

THanks guys.  Any other tips, as far as the cosmetics of the dash?  I know we had a hell of a time getting the cig lighter socket out - Grrr.

Azhittman I used minimal expanding aerosol spray foam to fill my cracks in a 521 dash.  Clean cracks well removing any loose material. spray with the foam let harden, carefully whittle any large access foam dowm sand with 60 grit.  repete as needed until all cracks are filled.  when it is smooth to sight & touch cover with desired material.  If you are using a cap disregard last step.

• 2 weeks later...

SO I took out my gauges the other day and im looking at the back of it.  its pretty different.  theres 12 pins first of all.  Ive got which ones are the turns signals, just from tracing the board to the pins... But I'm havign a time trying to figure out the other stuff.... like most importantly which ones the ground.  I cant tell.