411 auto tranny torque converter

R16 torque converter and flywheel out of a PL411 sedan I was told when I bought the motor. $75.00 obo for both plus shipping Could be into a trade for something you have and I don't know that I need yet. Located in Seattle but could arrange a PDX drop off.

DSC_0402_zps7b1a688c.jpg

DSC_0404_zps3a9977ba.jpg

DSC_0405_zps0e41d81d.jpg

came with the FRAM, dont want to hear any shit.

DSC_0403_zps5941ae73.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That torque converter and flexplate look to be in very good condition, hope you find a buyer soon!  By the way, that motor came from a RL411, not a PL411 as you probably know.  Just clarifying for a browser who thinks it could slip into a PL411.  I am assuming you are going to use this engine in your wagon.  That will take care of the 2 most difficult parts to find, the starter and the water pump.

Did not know autos were used that far back. B/W 35 almost for sure. The tranny may not have even had coolant lines like today's doo. The fan on the torque converter and grill covered openings on the bell housing were all that was needed. I'll be saving some of those pictures.

they did have lines on them mike. when i took my stock setup apart it had lines and a cooler in the bottom of the radiator. all stock stuff on a rl411sss

Yeah wish I knew more about the early autos. This is a B/W 35 probably from Muncie now that I look more carefully at the TC. There was one used on some 510s that are from England or maybe used in Europe? Maybe Nissan imported them into Japan when they were in bed with Austin of Great Britain. They were called a Letch Worth and this is probably the one I'm thinking of.  

Yeah wish I knew more about the early autos. This is a B/W 35 probably from Muncie now that I look more carefully at the TC. There was one used on some 510s that are from England or maybe used in Europe? Maybe Nissan imported them into Japan when they were in bed with Austin of Great Britain. They were called a Letch Worth and this is probably the one I'm thinking of.  

No!  The Muncie transmission is a different unit.  The Muncie has a vacuum shift, the British Borg Warner has a mechanical cable shift,  Very different!  You are right though, Nissan did import from Britain for the 411SSS and early 510s.  No American Muncies were used on the R411 or RL411 series [unless the late model R411 sold in Okinawa in the late 1960s had them].

Sorry wasn't clear, trannys get me hot. Most of my info is 510 related so I was surprized that the earlier cars even had autos.

The English Letch Worth was a cable down shift and based on a Borg Warner 35 type. What isn't clear from my information is weather it had coolant lines to the rad. 

The Muncie is an electrical down shift and fitted with a vacuum modulator valve. It's also based on the BW-35 and from the name likely made in Indiana at the BW plant. It did have coolant lines to the rad.

Mike, so glad you have filled in some gaps here. Looks like the Letch Worth was used in Datsuns up and just into the PL510 production then the Muncie was introduced. April '71 is the introduction date for the JATCO 3N71B

Mike, looking at my pictures the Letch Worth has an odd torque converter. It has smaller fins and does not have the little legs for the mounting bolts to the flex plate. The one in graveltrapp's picture fits the description of the Muncie. Do you think it's possible that a later Muncie might have been put on this 411????

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.