B210 rear axel strenght

Hello.

I am trying to find some reliable solution to my drivetrain problem. The laws in Norway wont let me convert my B210 to a IRS-setup, because that will cause me to have to weld new mountingpoints in my frame. Rewelding mountingbrackes in a different axle is allowed. Therefor I need another rearaxle that can hold from 200 - 300 bhp. Preferably with same bolt patern 4x114,3.

Any ideas to a donor car?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

I am trying to find some reliable solution to my drivetrain problem. The laws in Norway wont let me convert my B210 to a IRS-setup, because that will cause me to have to weld new mountingpoints in my frame. Rewelding mountingbrackes in a different axle is allowed. Therefor I need another rearaxle that can hold from 200 - 300 bhp. Preferably with same bolt patern 4x114,3.

Any ideas to a donor car?

Could you evade the law and question by fabricating a sub frame to mate to the current body mount points, and then bolt the IRS to the new subframe?

Re: B-210 axle strength

Axles are not rated by HP but by torque or twisting effect measured in foot pounds.

The B-210's H-145 axle will sustain about 100 foot pounds.

If I were going to run upwards of 200hp I would get the rear axle complete from a second gen 200sx. The '82-'83 S110 had a Z22 motor here, and the rear end was upgraded after '81 from an H-165 to an H-190 just like the 620 truck. The S110 had coil springs but you could trim the mounts off and run leaf springs. They also had deplorable ratios but the 620 truck H-190 will drop right in and the S110 axle splines will fit.

The H-190 axle will sustain about 285 foot pounds of torque. 

Thank for all the answers. I belive the RX7 to be the least hard car to find here in europe. Love that it comes with lsd. With is no problem. New wheeltubs is to be made to fit anyway.

This is probably a stupid qestion... but: If i weld up the spider-gears in my original axle. Will this add torque-strenght to the diff, or just make the shafts snapp even earlier? (what is the weak-spot on the H145?

Welding isn't advised on a street vehicle. Normally one tire spins loose and this acts like a fuse. Welding It would increase the strain on the main gears as now both tires are transmitting power  

The outside tire turns faster than the inside on a turn. If welded together they have to turn the same speed and rubber rubs off or it chatters and hops putting a strain in the axle splines. Even the H-190 will break and an H-145 is even lighter.