510 Headlight & alt

izzo

Got some questions.

On my old 510 wagon, the driver headlight was dim. I could never figure it out. I remember someone saying there is a ground under the hood somewhere that causes this. I was never able to figure it out on my 510, and read about it after I sold it.  Anyone know the location of this ground to double check?  Be nice to have good lights all across.

Second question.

The alternator is hooked up, and does charge. However there is a broke wire going to the T, and the alt light is on.  Hooked up the wire, ALT light still on, alt still charges.  Anyone else ever deal with this or know whats going on?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ground by the volt reg.

soembody said there is a ground wire by the hood latch inside. But maybe those are for the light relay.Never really looked since I dont have that proplem.

light I cant say. I thought if its close to the same voltage on both side light will go out.

Im sure Datsunmike knows

maybe reseat the volt reg connector if its external.

If IR type alternator then I dont know what else.

My headlights do the same thing-ish , and i thought it was te relay because when it would happen i would lightly tap on the relay by the voltage regulator ,,, BUT i was doing this a couple weekends ago in a rob-easy parking lot and a dude named Ron walked up and said ,,, " it`s a wire going into the fuse box "  and reached in and wiggled a wire on the fuse box and fixed it ,, he said his did the same thing....Seriously he just jangled the wires on or by the fuse box and it fixed it..

....Sorry if this is cryptic but it freaked me out that the guy was so into 510s and knew more about my car than i did so i didn`t watch or ask which wire he messed with...

Apparently this Ron O' ( full name withheld)  moved there from Hillsboro and has a sr20 2door that he is rebuilding after a wreck..

• 3 months later...

i checked the wires, and wiggled them

the problem continues

The driver side is a little dimmer than the passenger side (low beam) If i remove the high beam wire from the driver side, it dims down more. Same if i remove the passenger side low beam wire from the light.

When I turn on the brights, the driver side low beam gets real low, and the bright doesn't even come on.. I can't track down this issue... Anyone experience this and know the cause of it? Please help lol

Where do the light system ground at?  I have a ground from the battery to the head, and from the head to the spring perch on the driver side.

The lights ground through the headlight relay. The only reason for both lows and highs being on is the ground. The relay chooses which to ground, all lights gave power at all times(with switch on at least)

Guest 510kamikazifreak

All brand new fuses.  Swapped fuse box, too :(  I'll swap in the old one and see if it is the box itself.

New fuses have been faulty(at least for me) test them with DMM

All brand new fuses.  Swapped fuse box, too :(  I'll swap in the old one and see if it is the box itself.

douche em both.

i had a similar issue & swapped the 2 new headlight fuses and the problem switched sides.

bad fuse end. had continuity too.

I've tried sliding the fuse back and forth lulz. Just to see.

Ill swap boxes but fuses first to see if it makes a difference. the holders are clean, though I don't have a tool small enough to clean the insides of the connectors.  So I will dig around and find some vinegar for that and let the connectors set a bit I guess.

Post results later today.  fwiw, I don't think its a fuse box problem. but idk for sure.  fuse gets warm, so does one of the wires at the headlight relay.  seems like a grounding issue. 

Cleaned the headlight sockets already, tried different lights, too.

Ill start at the fuse box. Clean the contacts well, clean the plugs well.  Then move to the headlight relay. Clean contacts well, make sure its grounded good.  Then move to the headlights and clean those well too.  Plus try different fuses, different fuse box.  Shall see what happens.  Will test lights between each spot to see if I can narrow it down to what it was.

• Like 1