Blinking brake light on dash?

BillM

'82 210 w/ manual trans-

Driving along today- at a stop light saw that the brake light on the dash was blinking about once per second. Stops blinking when the engine goes over idle, comes back on (blinks) at idle.

Checked the fluid level (all OK) pulled all of the wheels and all brake linings are OK, still blinks at idle.

My manuals don't mention this at all- any ideas?

BillM

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had an odd thing happen with Datsuns made after '78 in that the brake light sometimes comes on when the choke relay isn't working properly due to the alternator not working properly. It only happened on a couple cars, but it's weird. It could just be a too low of an idle.

Idle is OK (about 800) but I am beginning to suspect the alternator since at night the headlights flicker at about the same frequency as the brake light blinks when the engine is idling. I have a spare good alternator and may pop it in tomorrow to see if it cleans things up.

I did disconnect the MC wires and nothing changed but thanks for the suggestion.

Bill

• 6 months later...