L23DE NA 290hp Dyno

Burabuda

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried doing a little searching and I couldnt come out with anything other than whats in the Youtube description...

L23 (2.3ltr), KA TwinCam headed L4 on the SuperFlow engine Dyno. 290.6 Flywheel Horsepower @ 8350RPM & 204ft/lbs torque @ 6500RPM. That's 126hp per Litre!!!
Further tuning resulted in 291FWHP @ 9000RPM, But the rev limiter will be set to around 8500RPM in interests of engine longevity.

I tried looking for a website but people still dont believe in owning a website apparently. 

Not just engine size but engine block restrictions. There is a guy in AUS mounting rb26 heads onto L blocks to race in a class that requires the block be original but has no head restrictions. 

Because if pure displacement restrictions alone its WAY easier to destroke and build a kade straight up at 2.3L. When built I believe anything thing the L or Z has over the KA becomes moot. Either is going to rev just fine and be reliable all said and done. Given the wider range of Ka support and not needing to adapt a completely different head I venture to say its cheaper to destroke and build a KA as well. 

The big reason for doing the L/KA hybrids is because of the myth that the "KA can't rev, it's a long-stroke truck motor". This is entirely false. There are other reasons, class restrictions, ect. but this is the big one.

L20B crankshafts can be fitted to a KA block to make a KA20DE that can handle 9000+RPM.

The KA24E is know to rev to over 9000RPM, with minor work. The DE is just as capable, the downside to both is the partially counterweighted crankshaft.

Brian Crower and Moldex both do a forged fully-counterweighted crank for the KA and that crank, with a good balance job, will let a KA-E turn 9 grand all day long if you want it to.

72240Z, the aussie is Peter Mac, and he's doing it because it can be done, not because it's a restriction. He used to build RB's professionally and is very familiar with the platform, and to him it seems a logical extension to the L. So he's doing it.

Really? I read on viczcar he was doing it because of class restrictions. Maybe it was a incorrect post I read. 

I can't even find the pics now, find lots of his 260 track car but not of that ridiculous hybrid set up. You seem better acquainted do you have any handy? I remember it being an adapter with an external coolant line?