my 280z doesn't want to start... I think I broke it

zdorantes

Hey I bought my first car a couple weeks ago a 75' 280z it ran fine for a few days but I think I may of broke it. Basically I didn't realize there was no coolant and after driving it for a few days one day it overheated. I didn't know what to do at the time so I sprayed the engine down with water. I didnt notice at the time but one of the blades from the cooling fan had melted and started to tear into the radiator. I tried to turn on the car after a few minutes and it worked but didn't get very far before it just stopped. I figure it was overheating but I thought it might be the battery so I replaced it and I put coolant in only to notice it all spilling to the floor that's when I saw that the cooling fan and radiator were deystroyed. After I did a real basic job of replacing the radiator and fan I tried starting the car with no luck. The starter motor turns the engine but the engine doesnt start. I then replaced and inspected all the spark plugs and wiring incase that was the problem but it wasnt they had charge after inspecting. Then I replaced the fuel filter thinking maybe this was the problem but that wasn't either. A friend noticed gasoline leaking from a fuel injector I don't if that could cause the engine not to work either way I don't know where to go from here.any help would be great. Thanks. I really need help figuring out how to turn on the engine.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get some manuals and start learning more about the vehicle you own. Theory of how a gas motor works and what the cooling system does. In particular MAINTENANCE. How to check/add/replace fluids. If not, you should be driving a newer car. Fan blades do not melt and they do not hit the rad unless the drive line receives a big shock like dumping the clutch at high revs or drifting.

Yeah I bought a manual and I've been reading as much as possible. I read learned how the cooling of the engine works and how a gas engine works. That could be the case since it was my first car and I'm not used to driving stick either way I replaced the belt fan with Electric. I mostly am concerned about turning the engine on.

Lift the distributor cap off and dry out the underside and the spark plug wires. Water has likely gotten in there from hosing the engine down. If an injector is leaking that needs fixing too. This is no guarantee that it will start. Motors should never be overheated, and aluminum head motors even more so. Overheating a cast iron block with aluminum head often results in the head becoming warped. This leads to a blown head gasket. 

Your fastest solution (could be cheapest and least time down on the car to depending) is to find a running L28e engine setup + good radiator and put them in.

Make sure to always change your oil/filter often , and check/replace coolant as needed especially as we are getting into the hotter months.

Don't forget to buy new radiator hoses , drive belts , and heater core hose as we creep into the hotter months of the year.

Do work now so you can enjoy later.

What is a comp? And the oil isnt dark.

He means a compression test. A method to measure the compression of each cylinder through the spark plug hole as an aid to diagnosing a problem. A blown head gasket may show up as a low compression on one cylinder or if warped and blown between two cylinders, the compression may be low on two side by side cylinders.

A blown head gasket may also allow coolant into the cylinder. It will be pushed past the rings and mix with the oil making it milky looking.

For the cost of having a mechanic do it you could buy a good tester and do it yourself and have $50 left over. Plus you always have the tester. Some of the better ones screw into the spark plug hole and have different threaded adapters for different plug thread sizes. Expect $20-$30

one thing is for sure, you will need tools.  Compression checker is a must have..you can also unscrew the valve cover cap and see what color is your oil is. If it looks like malt choc. shake, you head gasket is DOA. Also if you are going to install a new engine, install gauges (volt meter, oil pressure and temp.).  Not sure about 280z but it's good to have these things in our ole cars.  Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...