Un-finished KA-T 620

DailyDato

Catchy topic must get people to look......My problem, Ive searched and searched, and found no results, Ya, there is the Chad Copeland WarMachine.....but...SR. Im running a KA,  I have spent years saving and saving and building and building my KA that is currently in my 620, BUT...I need more info, Is there anyone out there that has a KA 620 that is turbo, that is willing to help me decide as to what manifold to run and what turbo sizes clear the booster and master cylinder? top mount, bottom mount, t3/t4 TD04 what have others attempted with great success? My drive train is a full built KA Ive saved for 7 years to build this thing, and it should handle loads of boost, but I am unclear as to what manifold and turbo i can run to satisfy my needs to complete my truck. What size intercooler did anyone run, where do you find placement to be effective? should i relocate my radiator such as the war machine?? did anyone ever do without power brakes for a simple over sized master cylinder?? like an old school chevy? throw ideas at me im game to hear all opinions....

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he is looking for a finished 620 so he can get some ideas of how to set his turbo up. . .

I believe the first sentence says it all. Its a fake title. He typed it because its "Catchy".

Catchy topic must get people to look......

Well thanks to everyone that offered helpful advice, I did read the build up on Al's truck, and that pretty much what i was looking to find, but none the less, it is just a build, no real informative explination, but it does show quite a good bit of helpful pic info. I myself am running into the issue of the brake booster, as well as not having sufficent vaccuum to run the booster, so i was mainly looking for a good alternative to power brakes, and thats where Al's truck comes in, he is running all wheel Wilwood disc, and no booster.....to me, and what i know about hydralic principles and functions, that doesnt sound too effective, but could be with the right proportions with caliper sizing and master cylinder bore. Ill try and get some pics of my truck up, but i have a crappy cell cam, and no real way of getting my pics to upload with anything near viewable quality. any one else with advice is still appreciated

Im running a KA,  I have spent years saving and saving and building and building my KA that is currently in my 620, BUT...I need more info, Is there anyone out there that has a KA 620 that is turbo, that is willing to help me decide as to what manifold to run and what turbo sizes clear the booster and master cylinder? top mount, bottom mount, t3/t4 TD04 what have others attempted with great success? My drive train is a full built KA Ive saved for 7 years to build this thing, and it should handle loads of boost, but I am unclear as to what manifold and turbo i can run to satisfy my needs to complete my truck. What size intercooler did anyone run, where do you find placement to be effective? should i relocate my radiator such as the war machine?? did anyone ever do without power brakes for a simple over sized master cylinder?? like an old school chevy? throw ideas at me im game to hear all opinions....

Seems a little late to be thinking of what turbo, what intercooler, what manifold works best. This should have been addressed first to see if it was feasible in a 620 and then build arund that.

As to brakes, a vacuum booster allows a certain size master to be manageable with normal foot pressure. It assists by doing over half the work. Pull and plug the vacuum line on yours and see how white knuckle the next stop is. Remove the booster and add an even larger master and the effort will increase 10X. On a KA24ET????

I recently purchased a 620 and have had a fully built KA24det for over 6 years, but as of now haven't put the KA in yet.

As far as top mount manifolds, I have a Rev Hard purchased from the Enjuku Racing website years ago.  At that time there really weren't many good options to choose from, so I chose to buck up and spend the money on quality.  I am honestly not sure what options are available currently.  If you want a top mount mount manifold they make mounting easier, in my opinion.  A cheap one can limit performance if you're looking for big power (600 whp or more).  Ceramic coating the manifold will help with spool up time.

The turbo I have is a big journal bearing Borg Warner t3/t4, don't remember the model, had it for a long time.  This was the best "bang for the buck" at the time, now billet wheels are popular, which have many performance advantages and can be retrofitted into many different size turbos.  In general, a t3/t4 with a billet wheel can put out some serious boost and spool fairly quick.  Again, ceramic coating the exhaust housing will help with spool up time. 

I know that the booster will not clear my setup, this is something that most likely will have to be relocated to inside the cab.  Also for brakes, having a proportioning valve would be a good idea and would allow you to have proper operation of the brakes.  Lots of power + no power brakes = bad idea, especially on a drag strip, I would never do it.

There is not enough room to run a FMIC big enough for substantial power, so I'm gonna go with an air/water setup.  Not sure where the core will be mounted, but I believe this is the best option for big power.  Spearco has a core for $600, but you would need end tanks, a pump for the water and piping for the intercooler/radiator as well.  Cost is probably close to what a good FMIC would be, but IMO air/water is much better for big power because you can have an ice reservoir for the track and get the inake temps close to or below ambient air temp.

I have two radiators that will go up front: a Mishimoto for the motor and another radiator that's not as tall, won't block all of the Mishimoto, for the air to water intercooler.

Just my .02 after eyeballing the bay and judging how much room there is going to be.  Your setup might be drastically different, don't know with out seeing it.  That's probably more than you wanted to know, but those are just some of the things I picked up along the way.