tranny fluid

Nismo1970

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do i check my tranny fluid? i suspect it has very small leak, but i'm not exactly sure where the oil is coming from, but it looks like the tranny is leaking, jus wanna check before i start to freak out. is there a certain way to check the levels?

On a 521 or D21 there will be a plug about half way up the side. The 521 likely has a large square end on it that a crescent wrench will fit on. Maybe fit a small length of pipe over the handle to increase leverage. On the D21 the plug most likelt has a square hole in the plug that a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar will fit in.

Where is the leak? If at the front it could be the rear seal on the crank on the back of the engine. Possibly the front seal of the transmission but more likely the motor. If at the rear of the transmission it's just the rear seal for the driveshaft and cheap and easy to do. If not sure, power wash and watch to see where the oil starts dripping. Not too much sense not fixing a leak.

My advice is to simply replace the oil with new. If you have never done it, it's extremely likely that it may never have been done, as second owners really don't give a shit about maintanence. 4th and 5th owners even less. The drain bung is on the bottom and most transmissions hold only 2 liters of oil. USE only GL-4 80W90  gear oil. Don't be talked into GL-5 oil by some kid that doesn't know that it will  corrode (over time) your brass synchro rings. If you can't find any be sure that what you use is marked "Yellow Metal Safe" or "sofe to use with brass" GL-5 is made for use in differentials and contain 50% higher levels of sulphur anti scuff additives. Might be a good idea to replace the differential oil too. 

On a 521 or D21 there will be a plug about half way up the side. The 521 likely has a large square end on it that a crescent wrench will fit on. Maybe fit a small length of pipe over the handle to increase leverage. On the D21 the plug most likelt has a square hole in the plug that a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar will fit in.

Where is the leak? If at the front it could be the rear seal on the crank on the back of the engine. Possibly the front seal of the transmission but more likely the motor. If at the rear of the transmission it's just the rear seal for the driveshaft and cheap and easy to do. If not sure, power wash and watch to see where the oil starts dripping. Not too much sense not fixing a leak.

My advice is to simply replace the oil with new. If you have never done it, it's extremely likely that it may never have been done, as second owners really don't give a shit about maintanence. 4th and 5th owners even less. The drain bung is on the bottom and most transmissions hold only 2 liters of oil. USE only GL-4 80W90  gear oil. Don't be talked into GL-5 oil by some kid that doesn't know that it will  corrode (over time) your brass synchro rings. If you can't find any be sure that what you use is marked "Yellow Metal Safe" or "sofe to use with brass" GL-5 is made for use in differentials and contain 50% higher levels of sulphur anti scuff additives. Might be a good idea to replace the differential oil too. 

thanks mike, you're always a huge help. n you're right, i don't think its been changed, so i'm in a hurry to get it changed. this is for my 521 btw. i have two small leaks, i already found one that is coming from my oil pain, it looks like its the gasket, which im going  to  replace asap. and the second leak is coming from about the middle of the tranny, where the drain plug is at from what i could see, i'm not 100%, it started to rain today so that stopped me from doing anything. Ill make sure to only buy GL4, or anything yellow metal safe, i know kids at autozone always try to get me to buy other crap thats not good for my truck.

I've been meaning to ask you, you had mentioned to me in another thread to use delo 15w-30 i think it was, i noticed we use that oil in our diasels at work, and it says diasels use. Is it safe to use that oil in my l20b?

I've been running Delo 400 15W40 for a couple years.  If you look on the bottle, it says CI-4 Plus (that's a diesel rating) but you'll also see SL, SJ or some other 2-letter combo stating with an S.  That's actually a gasoline rating.  Delo 400 meets both, but currently not SM/SN ratings which are LOW ZINC ratings and are not good for your camshafts.

Chevron does rate the Delo 400 for gasoline use, for engines older than the 2004 model year (that's when the SM type was set).

replaced my trans oil a few weeks ago. everyone was saying that the only place to find gl 4 is at napa (made by sta lube.)

well after goinf to oreilly, pep boys, autozone, and a few others, i can attest to it.

so save yourself the gas and go straight to napa. its expensive (25ish or more) but its enough fot about 2 jobs. buy yourself the screw in hand pump to make the job easier

^are you speaking from experience? read on some other random car forums of guys having bad luck with redline even though it was supposedly GL 4/yellow safe

With the ZX box, I've used royal purple synchromax, bearing noise and okay shifting, royal purple gear oil It was grinding into 2nd at high RPM shifts, with redline MT-90 less bearing noise and smoother engagement.

Redline MT-90 seems to be the choice for Z guys.  Not sure about other nissan gearboxes. 

With the ZX box, I've used royal purple synchromax, bearing noise and okay shifting, royal purple gear oil It was grinding into 2nd at high RPM shifts, with redline MT-90 less bearing noise and smoother engagement.

Redline MT-90 seems to be the choice for Z guys.  Not sure about other nissan gearboxes. 

I don;t have a z, ive got a 521, with an L20b and a 5 speed tranny, newer diff, i'm not exactly sure which tranny or diff. Any way i can check so i know for future referance and jus so i know lol.

The older boxes should use a GL4 formula. It is not as common as GL5. It is either the off brand stuff or Redline. I have always used Castrol Products whether it be Brake, Gear, or Motor oil. But because of the new info coming to me about the additives in the newer GL5 formulas, to get a decent GL4 I had to try the Redline MT90. As stated elsewhere, the rear diff will take the 4 or 5 so I went with the standard Castrol 75w90 GL5 for it. Although the Redline is double the price, Both the box and diff each use less than a quart a piece so at $15 for the Redline I did not lose much sleep.

The jury is still out on the overall performance as I have not been doing much driving with it yet. This weekend I will be going down to the Olympia meet and that will be over a 100 miles in an afternoon. I will report back after that.

lol i considered synchromax too but changed my mind once i read shit about it as well.