Datsun 620 Rear Bumper Assembly

DATSTON

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea this is pretty much how my rear looks like, but my "bumper" has been painted black.  when i say bumper, i meant the metal things on each side of the license plate.  by the way, where can i get myself a ratsun decal lol.

datsun5.jpg

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/13024-ratsun-rat-n-wrenches-logo-decalsstickers/

• Like 1

620s came "stock" with whatever step bumper the dealers had ordered in bulk.  They vary from truck to truck. 

"Factory" 620 bumpers were the bumperettes like the 520/521 had, but weren't generally sold here in the US.

No bumper looks neat, until some daydreaming ditz clonks into your truck at a snail's pace and annihilates your taillights.  Had one hit my step bumper on Friday.  Average, once a year.

620s came "stock" with whatever step bumper the dealers had ordered in bulk.  They vary from truck to truck. 

"Factory" 620 bumpers were the bumperettes like the 520/521 had, but weren't generally sold here in the US.

No bumper looks neat, until some daydreaming ditz clonks into your truck at a snail's pace and annihilates your taillights.  Had one hit my step bumper on Friday.  Average, once a year.

and this daydreaming ditz will be the one paying for my new taillights lol.  i have another car to drive if this ever happens, so no worries there.  i'm a pretty good defensive driver, but i know some things are unavoidable.

I was thinking about adding a third brake to my cab, to help those daydreaming ditz avoid my truck.

I did a quick search but didn't find an example.  Anyone know of a good light to mount there?

some big ass HIDs so they don't miss it lol.  you can probably hit up the junk yard, find a decent sized (or small depending on your preference) and custom mount them to your cab yourself.

Yep ... I prefer using the old stuff, and most likely will get something at a JY.

I just thought I would see if anyone here has done it, to see what they used.

oh yea makes sense.  i just removed the big ass diamond steel plate in the rear of my 620.  it had 3 red brake lights mounted to it as well.  i can take a picture to see if you would be interested in them.  wont be asking for any money, just pay for the postal service.  theyre about 3"x1.5" rectangular red lights.

looks like this.

79696KNS_Red_Rectangular_StopTailLightAs

Just wait until the ditz's insurance company totals your truck over a slightly wrinkled tailgate and 2 broken taillight lenses.  Sure, you MIGHT get the money, but it's a hassle I prefer to avoid.  If they're gonna knock out my taillights, they're gonna lose a radiator in the processes.

Only time I added high rear lights to a truck, it was on an old grandpa-canopy.  I've never put one on the cab.  However, the tailgate center light from a '88-90ish Crown Vic WAGON might actually fit over the rear window and be able to be faired in.  Just a guess though.

I only suggested it because I had one of those wagons.  Well, 2, though only one had the light.  It's fairly skinny which is why I suggested it, and has a bezel that can be cut to fit I think.  Would probably have to go over the drip rail.

As for a smaller rear bumper, Steroid used an early  Chevy Vega rear bumper.  Not as obnoxious as a step bumper, but would protect in the snail-pace bumps that happen in traffic.  Only problem is... finding a Chevy Vega.  But if it's so low a bumper would drag, no one is gonna hit the taillights anyway.  And a bumper wouldn't protect if it's that low, they'll just go right over the top.