Nice L20 On Ebay

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell is so 'very rare' about a Z22 bored to 89mm and KA 24 pistons in it? I got a Z22 block and some KA pistons just need to bore it to be very rare? Got the whole motor for $50 and the pistons for free. $1,700???

Jason Grey's Engine Specs

Big Bore 2.3L

KA24 pistons into a bored Z20/Z22/L20B block. The small 2.8cc dish area of the KA24 pistons helps to preserve compression ratio even with the low piston deck height. Compression ratio with a open chambered U67 head is 9.9:1 or use dished Z24 pistons and peanut chambered head for 8.9:1 compression ratio.

Parts: Z22 crank, KA24 pistons, Z22S/ L20B rods in a +2mm bored Z22 block or +4mm Z20/L20B block.

s/2+r+p= 92/2+145.9+34.0= 225.9 mm

piston deck height: -1.55mm below deck

Sounds like quite the motor but not rare and not for the price.

I was talking to Dan Hall about building me an engine. With the machine work involved, and cost of parts, I don't think $1700 is a bad price for a complete engine. If anything, I question whether or not it is a good build for that price.

Am I out to lunch here?

No, I just had a bad day and it was a cheap shot. Price is not as bad as it looks I guess but lots of unknowns involved. How do you know without a tear down? No mention of the cam. Rare oil pick up tube?... every L16 510 has one.

Gee, I just bought a pair of L20Bs for $150. But both are "some assembly required". One is a freshly assembled longblock, the other is completely apart. Both have rebuilt heads. They aren't that hard to find.

I see Z22s and Z24s in the wrecking yard all the time, but being that I can't lift an engine out of a truck and it's STRICKLY U-pull, I just buy the ones in folk's garages.

Usually they don't mind using the lift truck to 'lift' a motor into the back of my truck, but I have disassembled a Z24 to get it home. Carried all the parts out of the yard to the parking lot.

he sells a lot of motors, no pers exp, but havent heard anything negative.

if your looking for an L20, i have an 'assembly required' avail.

can include new Arias forged high comp pistons

fork lifts LOL they forked a complete Z22 into the back of the wagon. i made a ramp and used a furniture dolly to get it out, by myself :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.