custom primer 1979 280zx

ClassicDatsun

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

true, mine look like someone took a bat to them... lol

on a different subject how does a 93 v6 4 speed Camaro with two people in it beat me from a 20mpg roll!

N/A 280zx does a par or lose to an integra....     come'on the thing is a stock / worse than stock 30 year old car.

I lost intention in making mine fast lol. 

Best way to make easy power is to turbo your ZX, that's what I did when I had mine, the only mistake I made is I should have done it to the stock engine. Yours is a 79 could easily go turbo since yours is a 79 N42 block dish pistons mine had the F54 block with flat top pistons would have only been able to run 8-10lbs max.

I'd stick with the stock EFI  If you don't want to : pull choke, try to start. sometimes not start. open hood. find out whats wrong, start again. runs. stops. spark plugs fouled. wait for engine to cool. sand 6 sparkplugs, adjust fuel, start car up and go for a drive lol. 

Just replace vacume lines and corroded wires. should run for the next few years nearly maintenance free. 

i don't know i was just wondering what would happen if i did swap them.

oh and i took a video today so you guys can see what the car does. the first bit is me starting the car up with out touching the gas if i would have pressed the gas the car would have died, anyway...

Always know first what those injectors would do or anything in that matter its pretty simple to do google search all these issues have been answered google is your friend and can answer most of those questions you can search and add ratsun after your question or HybridZ after it you will find your answers just have to read up and know what your getting into. I don't mind answering what I know but when I'm clueless I hit up HybridZ and search threw there builts threads etc.

From what I can tell in the video since it's kinda hard to hear clearly and hard to diagnose seems like you got a vacuum leak you would be surprised how well these cars run when you replace all those bad vacuums lines as well as eliminate what you don't need. Do you have to smog your car in your area? If not there's a lot of stuff that can be taken off that will make it run so much better.

thanx ill try to search google if i have more basic questions or hybrid z more often if i need to i don't really use that forum.

and no we don't have smog here in Nebraska, and at first i thought it was a fuel issue but ill see if its the vacuum lines that need to be replaced... although i remember checking them all and none seemed cracked but who knows

Best bet is just to replace them all and if it's doing the same then you know you got one thing out of the way. You would be surprised though those vacuum lines get hard and bridle and can crack on the ends, could also be time to adjust your valves and get get new valve stems there pretty simple to install. Stuck injector or non working ones can do similar symptom, wiring is another big issue with these 30+ years old shit is bound to get fucked up. Would be a good time to order some new injector connectors cut the old ones off and rewire one by one. Also how long has it been since you've done a full tune up?

• Like 1

how long has it been since you've done a full tune up?

maybe a month and by the way when i was trying to bring this thing back to life during the summer i ripped off the fuel rail cleaned it, cleaned and checked the injectors, checked the cut off the cracked ends of all of the vacum lines, checked the timing, cleaned the gas tank, cleaned the gas level reader, checked the firing order, replaced the fuel pump (twice), replaced the fuel filter, "fixed" the wiring, but what i didn't do was open the motor i didn't even take the valve cover off... pues no se que trae...

ooh and the cold start valve doesn't work... i checked it and there's no voltage getting to it...

maybe a month and by the way when i was trying to bring this thing back to life during the summer i ripped off the fuel rail cleaned it, cleaned and checked the injectors, checked the cut off the cracked ends of all of the vacum lines, checked the timing, cleaned the gas tank, cleaned the gas level reader, checked the firing order, replaced the fuel pump (twice), replaced the fuel filter, "fixed" the wiring, but what i didn't do was open the motor i didn't even take the valve cover off... pues no se que trae...

ooh and the cold start valve doesn't work... i checked it and there's no voltage getting to it...

Ya veo, could be timing jumped a little and lash pads could need replacing get in that engine man check it as best possible! That cold start injector is an easy fix just get a new one!