custom primer 1979 280zx

ClassicDatsun

image_zps9c7edffa.jpg

I'm assuming that this wire should be attached to the battery it comes from the ENI relay

Also does anybody know how many volts should be running through the injectors while the engine is cranking

Before i connected that wire I didn't get a signal but after I did the needle on my voltmeter started twitching when I cranked the engine

I think that once I get a new fuel pump in it will turn on hopefully

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologize for the late reply.

Trace the wire first (hard to see what that wire is ... even though there are very few with that gauge in that area ...I've seen people do weird stuff over-time with electronics :) )

( I'm sure you've traced it already by the way , but wiring is something I have to see for myself so I try to be careful even though I'm not as fluent as I wish to be in it either )

Injectors will receive around 3.5-volts give or take NOT cranking ;)( only my experience with N/A stuff) ... if they are not opening or pulsing ... remember that they ground out to open up the solenoids while cycling or cranking :)

"Before i connected that wire I didn't get a signal but after I did the needle on my voltmeter started twitching when I cranked the engine"

^^ I understand mostly what you're saying , but not entirely sure what you mean by this :)

TIP: Nissan 280z and 280zx (same) fuel pumps typically last a long time. Although the anti-bleed back valve can fail inside them ... the pump typically doesn't

( not saying they don't fail , but less likely in these cars)

TIP: Fuel Injector resistor packs , and Fuel injectors are fed by the EFI relay as you already know. The ignition system grounding out is what opens up the solenoids at certain times. These are "batch fire" injectors , and are not "sequential". Meaning batch-fire = you could mix the injector connectors all up and plug them into ANY injector and the engine will work perfectly 100%. Sequential = needs to be in order or it will not work perfectly.

Sorry my eyes have had it today , and maybe I can type more later on.

Good luck !

DTP

• 4 weeks later...

Well he turned on today! But he only idles at very low speeds and doesn't accelerate because I used a spare fuel pump off a 620 and it doesn't really have enough psi to keep the engine running at revs higher than 1. Lol but it finally turned on an stayed on. All I have to do now is get another 40$ eBay fuel pump and ill be set to get it registered and go drive it to work and show it off at school ha. Man I've been saying that this was going to be my first car since I was a freshmen, now ima be a senior an i finally paid my dad for the car and it it running I mean it only took me four years to get the money. Lol

Update!!! I had bough a fuel pump on ebay a little bit ago but it had gotten clogged with rust from the tank so i went and got another fuel pump. But that one burned and stoped working. after that is when i fixed the fuel injector problem. I then opened up the first fuel pump that i had bought and uncloged it. after i tested it with a battery it still didnt work.and today i fitted a different pump on it but was to weak. So after going to all the shops in town hopeing to find a cheap used one and not finding one, i got home hit the fuel pump that i unclogged a few times with a 2X4 tested it for the heck of it and it worked! then i put on the car and the car turned on and stayed on!!!! it even accelerated and all!! so after adjusting the air screw and the distribuitor, the car runs great!! ha in your face Datsun

got my front bumper fixed

image_zpsf691d48b.jpg

image_zps4a0a0719.jpg

for some reason my car seems to want to be a four cylinder. cylinder 2 and 5's spark plugs get super dirty super fast. but after a clean it runs on 6 cylinders for a bit until the spark plugs get dirty again

maybe ill try that. but for right now its back to its 6 cylinders. only problem is that when i come off the clutch the engine wants to die and if i press the gas pedel it wont accelerate itll just die. in neutral it accelerates with ease. but once the clutch starts to come off it starts wanting to die i think it might been that the fuel pump is sucking air from somewhere because the fuel hoses look like shit. ill just have to replace it tomarrow

well today i finally drove the car and when i say "drove" i mean driving around the block slowly and having trouble pulling away from stops. the car will not turn off if you let go of the clutch like it was doing yesterday. but once in gear the car struggles to stay turned on between 1 and 2 revs you kinda have to tap the gas until it gets up to 2 revs then its good. it jerks back and forth while you do that until its past 2 revs. also if you keep the revs at 2 when in neutral and when slowly releasing the clutch the car accelerates quickly and will not show signs of wanting to turn off. does anybody know wat this is or how to deal with it. 

any help is greatly appreciated. thanx

Regardless of how it looks that wouldn't lay or hold up well. Clear is porous it would need to be epoxy primer and even that and clear wont be a great seal. Also clear is not designed to bite into primer it will be a bitch to lay. Then lastly primer isn't UV resistant it will become faded and ashy over time under the clear.

Either have to deal with the ratty finish and do frequent resprays or you could wrap it or even a standard paint job with a flattened clear etc... 

i like it. question though. Do you plan on just keeping it Primer, or do you plan on painting it someday? i think just a Matte clear over the primer would look awesome.

thanx and im paint it some day flat black on top and drab olive on the bottom with the shark on the side

I like your bumper tumor delete . 

doin it to the rear any time soon? haha. 

the rear has an aftermarket bumper, the p.o. put on the front air dam the side skirts and the rear bumper, he also tried shaving the bump stops on the front bumper but failed i just fiberglassed over and bondoed on top to smooth it out 

does any one know how much psi the stock fuel pump is suposed to have? i think that might be part of my problem. the cold start valve dosent work, theres no voltage getting to it, or it might be sucking air from somewhere.