custom primer 1979 280zx

ClassicDatsun

so ive had this car for a few years never used it before when i got it it ran now it don't, my dads pressuring me to get a job and fix it, i've done some research and have been looking at modifications for years but never done anything on this site until a lil bit ago. 

here are some pics of when i got it.

my280zxside_zps10eaa55b.jpg

heres the gauges

my280zxinsidePhotoon2010-09-04at1059_zps

stock engine

my280zxmotor_zpsa61fdfbd.jpg

heres a pic of the hood 

my280zxhood_zpsb6c9af36.jpg

has any body ever seen any thing like this hood on a z-car before? i've seen many z-cars but i've sen very few hood modifications

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the car turns over but it runs out of battery power or something after the first try it might just be that it doesn't get enough gas to make a large enough explosion andd get it running, i was just sharing this car with all of you. but i also haven't seen the louvered hood anywhere else, i know the vents are stock turbo vents. i guess i also would like to see if anyone else has a custom hood

The battery should be able to crank the motor over for minutes at a time, though you shouldn't, as it's hard on the starter. The battery is dead or cables loose.

It's up to the owner if he wants or likes added louvers. Myself I hate when people do this to any car. It's just not right.

• Like 1
the car turns over but it runs out of battery power or something after the first try it might just be that it doesn't get enough gas to make a large enough explosion andd get it running, i was just sharing this car with all of you. but i also haven't seen the louvered hood anywhere else, i know the vents are stock turbo vents. i guess i also would like to see if anyone else has a custom hood

Does the starter click loudly then stop?

My ZX did that .. was bad starter.

could be a Fuel Injection issue also. or a offshoot of this.

I long time ago I guy had a 810 and it would crank but seemd like no spark. I saw a wire hanging by the batter and put it on the +side batt and it started running. It was a Lucky guess

Be honest of you dont have the funds to get this truely going maybe best to sell it to a Z car guy. Looks like everything is there. Just more knowlege of these cars is needed. I dont know  Z cars myself and they are 3/4 time more complecated to me to work on besides that basic cks

I would ck the batt cables, maybe a new battery, ck the vlave lash. ck for power at the injectors I guess. Spark at the coil then loo at the fuel system next.

in this looking ck the fuses also. or the fuasble links to see if broken.

Mine did that move the battery cables around clean them as best as you can so there's no acid residue.

ive tried that acually the battery looks good no acid its all clean

Does the starter click loudly then stop?

My ZX did that .. was bad starter.

yes i think it might be that

could be a Fuel Injection issue also. or a offshoot of this.

I long time ago I guy had a 810 and it would crank but seemd like no spark. I saw a wire hanging by the batter and put it on the +side batt and it started running. It was a Lucky guess

Be honest of you dont have the funds to get this truely going maybe best to sell it to a Z car guy. Looks like everything is there. Just more knowlege of these cars is needed. I dont know  Z cars myself and they are 3/4 time more complecated to me to work on besides that basic cks

I would ck the batt cables, maybe a new battery, ck the vlave lash. ck for power at the injectors I guess. Spark at the coil then loo at the fuel system next.

in this looking ck the fuses also. or the fuasble links to see if broken.

thanx for all the info and i don't think ill ever sell the car

It's up to the owner if he wants or likes added louvers. Myself I hate when people do this to any car. It's just not right.

well when i got the car it had the hood on it, i really don't see whats so wrong about this i kinda like it i might go for a rat rod look for a while if i get it to run  :D

the only bad thing about the hood is that when it rains the water goes straight in to the engine 

thank you im pretty sure i don't need the how to rebuild one since i have rebuilt engines with my dad before and he has rebuilt many datsuns in his time

do you own the modification book? its the one that i might buy

I used to I lost it somewhere when I moved and it was like in new condition I'm thinking of buying another there great books.

i just found that same book for a lower price 

http://www.zcarsource.com/how-to-modify-your-nissan-datsun-ohc-engine-manual-240z-260z-280z-280zx-300zx-new_8_56847_66325.html  :D

i took some pictures yesterday of the car 

IMG_0564_zps1ef2d671.jpg

when i got the car the P.O. gave me the original hood and the custom louvered turbo hood, i put on the original so the custom one wouldn't get damaged outside

IMG_0565_zps5afb8470.jpg

the car came with these rims i think they might be american racing but who knows

IMG_0566_zps96ed515b.jpg

the P.O. also gave me this part i've seen some others around was this a factory accesory or is it aftermarket?

Get some Rota RB-R 17x9.5 all around they will fit and makes the ZX look great and there not super expensive.

ive seen alot of zxs' with those rims. they do look pretty sick but for now if i can get to going on the car id like to do a rat rod style with old school mags, side louvers, rear louvers and  a grey primered look

I used have mine look somewhat ratty

IMAG0741.jpg

019fe088.jpg

77f9a806.jpg

This was another 280zx that I used to have that ended up as a donor for my current Z.

d8f4dff2.jpg

195342e1.jpg

3c81c3bc.jpg

044276b5.jpg

wow man!  :o the last car looks killer

both are really nice i really like the primered grey color on a zx 

thanks for sharing these

Your Zx already has a lot of potential ClassDat!

I think you should stay old school with it, when I got my zx, it was half primer and had broken louvers haha, I had to break then off, wish I could salvaged them though.

If you do a 5 lug z31 swap you will have a much better selection of cool old school wheels. I originally wanted to run 15x10 Chevy rally wheels but the 4 lug was holding me back. So I went with these 15x10 cream and chrome lipped steel

wheels. Awful_Hero_S130_004_1.jpg

Your Zx already has a lot of potential ClassDat!

I think you should stay old school with it, when I got my zx, it was half primer and had broken louvers haha, I had to break then off, wish I could salvaged them though.

If you do a 5 lug z31 swap you will have a much better selection of cool old school wheels. I originally wanted to run 15x10 Chevy rally wheels but the 4 lug was holding me back. So I went with these 15x10 cream and chrome lipped steel

wheels. Awful_Hero_S130_004_1.jpg

thankz man but you havent seen the rust on this thing  :lol:

i have thought of the 5 lug conversion but ive decided nah keep it original with some rare old school rims that is what will make it special, at least i hope.

• 3 months later...

well i havent posted in a long time... i have come up with a list of parts that i might want i am looking for a seet of 1982-83's bumpers the ones that wrap all the way around the front and rear of the car, a set of louvers for the rear and side windows, an overhaul kit with forged internals, and maybe just to top it off a ken jones supercharger setup please let me know if any of you have any of these parts. thanks