SR20 FWD same as RWD ?

Gottagoon

This seems like a simple question but my eyes are nearly blood shoot with all the web research i've been doing, and still don't know if I should buy this SR20 motor out of a Sentra for $500. I just blew up the L20 in my Goon. Want to do the conversion. I also don't know if  the SR20 will bolt up to my 5 speed trany...........anybody ?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The distributor sticks out the back of the head and will hit the firewall. The mounts are either different or non existing... at least on the sides of the block. Not sure about the bolt pattern for a RWD 5 speed.but won't fit the L20B trans.

KA will bolt up to my 5 speed, right ?

. I just blew up the L20 in my Goon. Want to do the conversion. I also don't know if  the SR20 will bolt up to my 5 speed trany...........anybody ?

No.

Depends on what 5 speed you have in there. 71B or 63A. You could find a Z series front case and swap it on to your L 5 speed and the KA would then bolt up. If you have a 71B a KA 5 speed front case will bolt on and convert it. You have options. But as is a KA won't bolt up (at least not properly) to an L series transmission.

Here's some reading for you. It may help you make a choice.

I don't know who this guy is but this is the most comprehensive listing of Datsun transmissions on the internet. It's geared towards 510 swaps but the information is good for any car. There's even small tricks to ID transmissions when junk yard shopping, what years and cars they were in, the usual ratios, doglegs, Nismo 5 speeds, relative power handling, some history. Even automatics. And pictures!!!!

510transswapsinfoandID001.png

510transswapsinfoandID002.png

510transswapsinfoandID003.png

510transswapsinfoandID004.png

510transswapsinfoandID005.png

510transswapsinfoandID006.png

510transswapsinfoandID007.png

510transswapsinfoandID008.png

510transswapsinfoandID009.png

Shit if only the FWD sr20 was worth anything lol. You cant swing a cat in a junk yard around here without hitting one.

I know. Plug the dizzy hole and run crank fire ignition. Still need a tranny.