Opinions on my next move: adapters or 5 lug swap

southerncross

Ok, got another one for the brains.

My current plan with my truck involves getting it running so I can drive it a little while I'm working up to the big rebuild.  I've already got the parts for the engine and brakes on the way but the one thing I don't have sorted out is wheels.  I would like to do a 5 lug swap with four wheel discs down the road, but I don't know if I have the time right now to complete that.  I have to get tires so I might as well get the wheels I want, and there are much better choices in 5 lug than in 6 lug (at least from what I'm finding).  I can't find anything I really like locally in 6 lug except titan wheels and I'd rather not go with another factory wheel.

Here's the question(s):  Does anyone run adapters?  They're 2" thick, and I'm going to wind up with 8" wide wheels, so I know I'll be running an offset closer to a fwd setup but that doesn't really bother me so much if they're the wheels I want.  I've looked but didn't find any cohesive writeup on a 5 lug swap (my search fu may just be super weak), where do I find that info and is it a ridiculous amount of work.  Right now I think I'll be happy with the drum brakes and a set of adapters, but I'm open to suggestions.  I'm sure this has been covered multiple times so I apologize if I'm asking a dumb quesiton. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of selection you just have to pay. There is a whole thread here of hot wheels on datsun trucks. Still wondering why you didnt get responses and why you cant find many 5 lug swapped Datsun trucks?...

Sorry, I had to! :)

Here's the thing, You have a lot more "Nicer" and "Old School JDM TYTE YO" wheels in Five lug, and even more in four.
Sure there are plenty of good looking wheels in six lug, but loving old japanese wheels I chose to go with five lug.

You really have to take into account the adapters though, 2" 50mm that's -50mm to your wheel spec.

Those Hayashi Racing Command 800s are 15x8.5 -13 + -50 = -63, Since the truck is old and RWD it will easily soak up the negative offset, but if you want massive width and low offset best to stick with six lug wheels.

I'm fixing up a set of 15x12 -70 right now so I'll be reverting back to six lug.

Thats one of the few pictures I saw I liked Radim.  Thanks for posting that.  I'm a sucker for old jdm wheels and used to be a mammoth wheel whore when I had my two AE86s and my 84 celica gts. I'm not so much looking to have massive width, probably 15 or 16x8 all the way around.  How did you do your conversion or is it a set of adapters?

What part of adapters are unsafe?
I've been running the adapters for almost a year now, No slipping, no loosening, no problems at all. and the truck is almost daily driven and beat.
So i'm not sure where you came up with this assumption but adapters are safe, just don't be stupid and undertorque them.

And its not so much about paying, its about availability.  If I have to custom order a set of wheels that costs $2000 then I'm sure I can get them drilled to whatever I want as long as the bore fits the hubs.

Thinking of spending $2,000 on rims for a $500 truck is totally the wrong priority. (and then drill holes in them???)  Most people have the worst taste when it comes to bling and their vehicle show it. You can't go wrong with stock rims and nice tires. Maybe a silver gray or aluminum mag rim even. The thing is that the rims are not the thing... the truck is. Therefor the rims should compliment the truck not upstage it. Harmony.... everything works together. Think of a woman with a simple pearl necklace. She looks elegant dressed up for the night or wearing jeans and sweater. Try that with a diamond necklace.

Rims are a long way down the road but to each their own..

He didnt say unsafe he said safer. Stock 6 lug hubs are safer strength wise then 2 inch thick 5 adapters in a number of ways, especially on a truck. Say nothing for the other safety concerns. Nothing happened on yours Radim but things have happened on others for various reasons. So its fair to say no adapters is safer. 

Thanks for the opinions guys.  The whole issue of whether wheel spacers is safe or not is not something worth arguing about with me.  Many race teams use them; I know, I've pit crewed for them.  The only unsafe spacers are the ones that are cast and non-hub or lug centric.  I've used good ones and so have my friends without issue.

The real for me issue is availability of good looking wheels that are affordable.  I'll pay for a set of $2000 wheels if its exactly what I want, but I'd rather swap to a 5 (or four lug now that you mention it!) because I can have 4 or 5 different sets of cool wheels to play with and a market to sell them back in to when I've gotten tired of them.  Its cool that a lot of people seem to be happy with factory wheels in larger sizes but I am not one of those.  I want aftermarket wheels, preferably of the Japanese variety, and with some style.  If I didn't care about all that I'd stick the set of factory Titan 17s on there and rock out. 

All spacers are def not created equal. Porsche GT3 comes with 5mm spacers stock I believe, I run 20mm bolt ons in my rear, but 2 inches is over 50mm. You drastically change the leverage and vertical forces by extending the hub out that far. When you combine that fact with also eliminating 1/3 of the lugs (say 6 to 4) how is it not less safe? We are also talking trucks here, since when is lessening the lug count and extending the hubs 2 inches on a truck a good thing? Nissan felt like using 6 lugs for fun not because of the weight ratings? Besides even the safety it puts more force and in turn wear on the wheel bearings too. It of course maters less to a truck thats used like a car or a track car for that matter.  

Its less safe, it's a fact. It doesnt mean its unsafe, there is a difference. I wouldnt call it dangerous, certainly wouldnt use spacers myself if I could. Wasn't trying to argue this but be real, stock is safer and thats a fair thing to say here for convos sake.