The 1984 4x4 720KC - The red workhorse

Draker

Hood is ready for color.. I don't really know what to do to keep the panel from rusting in the mean time. I sprayed primer sealer as the last few coats but I know it's not water proof. Color will probably way down the road.. or could even be done by a future owner.. lol who knows. I do want to seal it from moisture though.

Next is probably the fenders and doors..

At some point I need to cut and patch the passenger floor board.. That will probably be done before the fenders.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hood is ready for color.. I don't really know what to do to keep the panel from rusting in the mean time. I sprayed primer sealer as the last few coats but I know it's not water proof. Color will probably way down the road.. or could even be done by a future owner.. lol who knows. I do want to seal it from moisture though.

You can scuff the primer you have already sprayed with a red scotchbrite pad or a D/A and go over it with an epoxy sealer/primer. It will look about the same but protect it from water.

In an attempt to get clean dry air.. I bought a bunch of hose and some filters. I made probably about 15-20ft of drops with 2 filters with reseviors an inline decandecent dryer and another inline filter at the HVLP gun. I bought a $30 HVLP from harbor freight for laying down primer.. and I'll use my buddy's sata for color(If the primer is a success).

It's ghetto, but here is what it looks like so far. The filters are removing a bunch of water..

2013-07-03_19-43-43_423_zps0b5f05a9.jpg

What did you use as a primer, rattlecan? Rustoleum does make a primer/sealer in a can.

I would look into if there will be any reaction with the paint you used and what you are planning to put over it. It would suck to have all that come up because the paints dont like each other.

The rustoleum rattle can primer/sealer is lacquer-based I believe, which makes it risky to spray over with any dissimilar material. I would test the epoxy on a small inconspicuous area, then make the first couple of coats light and even if the test area doesn't wrinkle and peel. Give the light coats at least twenty minutes flash time before applying a couple medium-wet coats. It could be fine or turn into a mess, but the lighter, dryer coats will increase your chance of success. Now that you have a gun and air, a good 2k urethane primer would be a much better choice if you can drop the coin.

Was digging through my stacks of Ratsun parts today and found this carb.

I believe it's from a first gen NAP-z .

5728_zpsdc6948e7.jpg

If I remember correctly it has a base plate leak after a rebuild. I didn't do the rebuild so I can't attest to that info.

Any way  it won't be getting any run time on my rigs. Won't feed the beasts.

If you need it.  Pay the freight and you can have it.

It may help with you're miss issue.......

It is boxed and very clean.

I had a 720 standard cab 4x4 back in the 90's. Loved that little truck...... Nice to se one getting some love...

The rustoleum rattle can primer/sealer is lacquer-based I believe, which makes it risky to spray over with any dissimilar material. I would test the epoxy on a small inconspicuous area, then make the first couple of coats light and even if the test area doesn't wrinkle and peel. Give the light coats at least twenty minutes flash time before applying a couple medium-wet coats. It could be fine or turn into a mess, but the lighter, dryer coats will increase your chance of success. Now that you have a gun and air, a good 2k urethane primer would be a much better choice if you can drop the coin.

I'll have to keep this in mind. I honestly don't know shit about paints.. other than they come in different colors. thanks for the heads up.

Was digging through my stacks of Ratsun parts today and found this carb.

I believe it's from a first gen NAP-z .

5728_zpsdc6948e7.jpg

If I remember correctly it has a base plate leak after a rebuild. I didn't do the rebuild so I can't attest to that info.

Any way  it won't be getting any run time on my rigs. Won't feed the beasts.

If you need it.  Pay the freight and you can have it.

It may help with you're miss issue.......

It is boxed and very clean.

I had a 720 standard cab 4x4 back in the 90's. Loved that little truck...... Nice to se one getting some love...

$10 cover the freight? (I'd assume it would)

Damn.......

First thing I did was look in my side mirror to see if I lost a wheel... Because that's certainly what it felt like! I just felt the left rear drop like something fell off. Haha

I know some of you know what it's like to lose a wheel.  :poke:

And others know what it's like to have half a dozen flat tires in a month...  :poke:

Yeah, I was was just glad it loosened it rather than tightened it. Had it not loosened it, I wouldn't have done the front crank seal... and there would still be little drips of oil in my drive way. Since then, signs of oil leaking! Score!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...