A12 ground issue

hurricane14

i searched and found a few posts on grounding and throttle cables being fried, but most were trucks with cab and bed ground issues.... so posting this question here for the 1200 group, maybe even move this to electrical or general...?? i will apologize in advance for asking a probably real dumb question, but electrical is really my weak spot. i'm sure i could find and print a wiring diagram and go figure it out, but thought i would ask first to save some time.......

'72 1200 coupe with stock A12, no real mods, points, condenser, ballast resistor, stock fuse box, etc.... went through a couple old/used throttle cables before realizing there is a short. looking further i see one of the wires on the back of the alternator is cooked, as well as a wire that goes to the little box on the inside of the passenger fender well. (fusable link, or...?)

i see the negative battery cable goes to the sheetmetal just below the battery tray, but that's it. there is no wire going from that to the block or any other connection. i just looked again real quick on lunch and will try and get some pics tonight to help clarify what i'm talking about, but trying to see what i should be looking for that may or may not be there (another ground, loose connections, etc)

i do know that when we got the car it was not running and did have a huge mallory ignition coil that we replaced with an aftermarket stock one as well as the starter and other basic tune up items, so there is a chance that there is something we are not seeing or something we hooked up wrong. the strange thing is the car was driving off and on for a couple months while we were working out things that were needed, but i'm thinking there was something wrong from the beginning because we kept breaking cables and originally thought they were just old.........

any help in the right direction is appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the battery cable off the body and bolt solidly to the block.

Run a large cable from the battery negative to the body sheet metal or at the least a cable from the block to the sheet metal.

The starter motor draws hundreds of amps when cranking. It needs a good solid heavy cable directly to the negative terminal. Without this, power must find it's way from the block to the sheet metal to get to the battery... this is retarded. It also explains the melted throttle cable.

Also I fried that wire behind the alternater too...I cut open the harness and replaced it. The wire is supposed to lead to the positive cable, after I just wrapped it all up with some electrical tape...looks like I was never even in there.

post some pics we like pics

my negative goes right to the starter mounting bolt and a strap from the block to the sheet metal 

you cant ground it to much unless you ground the positive