Should i buy this?

Justin Berni

Hey guys i have liked Datsuns for awhile now, and its finaly time for me to get one, and im pretty sure im gonna get this, what do you guys think?     http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/3576579158.html

the first things i will do is take off the canopy, and the hideous bumpers, than eventually, black deep dish steelies, lowered, with an extra inch of low in the front, and i wanna strip all paint, and let just a tiny bit of surface rust appear, than clear coat, and maybe fender mirrors, havent decided on that, but how  about some opinions?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least 5 months

Shit, those were facts...

My opinions are take the topper off but hang on to it because they can be extremely useful. The front bumper needs to go. Raked 620s look cool. Don't strip, rust, and clearcoat because it's too much work, it doesn't work like you think it will, it's been done too many times, and rust is fucking terrible for datsuns. Fender mirrors > other mirrors. 

yeah i wont get rid of the top, but i have 3 angle grinders, with wire wheels and two friends helping, i dont think getting it raw will take any more than a day, but i was contemplating the rust, cuz sometimes it turns out this shitty yellow color, and if i make it raw i will have black tail lights and blinkers, and i will have "Datsun" or "Ratsun" painted in black on the tail gate in big letters they it looks like stock.  and you sure its been on for that long? i just noticed it yesterday, haha.

yeah i feel you, but i havent really seen that many like that, can you send me some links? and if i wanted to paint it, that will take awhile to get the money for, unless i just buy the automotive paint, than do it with an HPLV sprayer that my uncles just got, but thats risky cuz he just got it and isnt too experianced, haha,.

The black paint that's on it might be fine. I like black 620s. 

There's countless ways of painting a truck. I've rattle canned, sprayed, and rolled. People may think I'm silly but rolling is the easiest and best method for a cheap do it at home paintjob. A good solid layer of quality primer and plenty of sanding. You can roll a whole coat in under an hour. If you want gloss, roll the bitch with acrylic and go back and color sand till it looks like clearcoat.

Rolled this in a day-

418394_121035904691736_58094294_n.jpg

and how reliable, and easy to fix, compared to other cars, are Datsuns? cuz this will be my first car/truck, and i have heard they are prety basic when it comes to fiixing. 

Well I'd consider them as reliable as my 300td, which is hands down the most reliable vehicle on the planet. The reliability comes from the fact that there isn't much to go wrong. It takes fuel, air, and spark. Not a lot of components involved in the process. Datsun parts are well made, usually, and cheap compared to most. Easy? Extremely. I can take my engine down to a long block and put it back together in a couple hours.

The hardest thing to do on a datsun is remove this bolt-

P1080629_zps81e26f8c.jpg

P1080632_zps4862022c.jpg

No probs. BTW I daily drive a 228k miles 620 and I drive it hard. 

I've never bled a clutch but I assume it had a bleeder nipple just like the brakes. Probably a 5/16th, 9mm, something like that.  Ever done brakes? Have a friend pump the clutch pedal a few times then hold it to the floor. Loosen the bleeder while keeping the pedal to the floor and it should either release air or a stream of fluid. Never hurts to repeat the process just make sure you keep the reservoir topped off and be sure not to let the clutch up while the bleeder is open. 

It only takes 2 inches of pedal to disengage my clutch.

The, the only problems with it is it needs a new battery,  but my uncles is coming to look at it with me nd he is gonna take the battery out of his old toyota to test drive, and i guess theres air in the clutch, and the cracked windshield, the guy said the body s really good, but i dont know if i can trust him cuz in the ad it says "turn key and go" but it has no battery in it! haha

The, the only problems with it is it needs a new battery,  but my uncles is coming to look at it with me nd he is gonna take the battery out of his old toyota to test drive, and i guess theres air in the clutch, and the cracked windshield, the guy said the body s really good, but i dont know if i can trust him cuz in the ad it says "turn key and go" but it has no battery in it! haha

Why dont you just go look at it and see for yourself? Bring a spare battery or use one out of the car you take to go check it out. Look everywhere for rust, drive it around the block, etc. There are a crap load of parts available in this area so you can find a windshield no problem. Please dont wreck the paint if its decent. If its your first car you should worry about learning how to drive and taking care of it. Dont worry about stupid mirrors or wheels or any of that crap. Buy a car you think you can handle and learn to wrench if you dont already know how (which by some of the statements and questions, I dont think you know how).

I would focus on getting it running before you try any mods on it. Youve already said its your first car.... maybe should learn something before you decide get all Fast and the Furious on it.

Should:

start 6-7 times in a row without the battery going dead.

re-start when motor hot.

idle for long period without overheating.

wiper, heater, horn should work

idle smoothly, pull away and accelerate to highway speed smoothly

brakes work quietly and even, without pulling to one side

have a spare and the jack. (floor behind drivers seat)

Headlights and hi beams work. (nice if all tail lights and side marker lights are working, a few bulbs out is ok but if all tails are out... not good)

Shift all gears smoothly, clutch smooth and transmission quiet.

No broken glass

Should not:

make mystery engine noises

wander all over the road when driving

have 4 different size tires by 3 different makers.

have a door bell button on the steering column for a horn.

have a rat's nest of home made wiring all over the engine compartment or hanging below the dash.

have wet (oil) transmission or differential.

vibrate when driving.

Do not believe seller's

" Yeah that, ... just needs a carb adjustment."  So why hasn't he done it?

"Always smokes until it warms up"

"Never did THAT, before!"