• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a 1.6L GA16DE here (and a QG18DE too). Both match up to the
Datsun 1200/B210 transmission pattern.

Some of the GA16DE engines had an engine side starter and some had a
transmission side starter. Their matching flywheels will either have the
ring gear teeth on the engine or the transmission side. You want a
flywheel build for a starter on the engine side (like the 1200/B210).
The GA16DE were in the Sentras here in the US from 1991-99. Pick one
with the starter on the engine side and you will have the right
flywheel.

If you use a flywheel from the 2000-06 QG18DE, it will have the
flywheel ring gear in the correct facing direction.

As for the extra length of the input shaft, you can shorten it or use
several of the spacers that go between the A14/15 and the transmission.

Peter

Transmissions are not rated for power.

The dogleg depends on which dogleg you mean (there are at least five Datsun dogleg transmissions). For the FSW63A (A-series or L-series), it can safely, long-term reliably handle about 110 ft-lbs or torque. So it will handle a stock GA16DE, but not a supercharged or turbocharged one. Not long-term reliably at least. It might last for a while.

ka and dogleg?  i open to it

which involves less cutting?

A US '80- A10 (HL510) 5 speed dogleg is designed to fit the NAPS Z20 engine. The Z series motors have the exact same bolt pattern and orientation as the KA series engines. The problem is the KA will eat the dogleg for breakfast. The dogleg is a fine transmission but really only adequate for a 2 liter motor like the L20B. The KA makes over 50% more HP and at least 1/3 more torque. A better choice would be a 71-B 5 speed from a 720 NAPS engine truck. The best choice would be the 71-C 5 speeds that came with the KA motors to begin with.

Search my friend. It's all been discussed many times. Even the B310 (210) KA-swap has been done many times here on Ratsun.

If you use the original KA trans you will have to cut the shifter hole as it's about 4 inches further back. Best to use the 720 shorty transmission for a B210 or B310 swap. Search.

• 11 months later...

this summer i attempted a ford 302 and t5 mock up in my parts car with a mustang rear axle.  the lower suspension link mounts line up to the axle but the top would need modification or really long bolts and least 5 inch spacer. ( dangerous and probably wouldnt last)

tunnel and firewall was hacked alot but tried to cut one solid piece. 

i cut the trans tunnel just to where the support mount bracing is and that worked. as for the firewall had issue with where the accelerator pump mount is. 

would need inch or inch and half to clear bell housing and the pedal would need to be slightly relocated

the t5 ended up having the shifter dead on with the tip of the ebrake,  and that was with the back of the 302 motor siting almost flush with firewall

had stock gt shorty headers that cleared the steering box and idler arm but collectors on down would be hard...didnt get that far

but had to abort.  due to storage fees working in a 10 x 15 unit,  which was snug with car, motor, lift stand and work bench on sawhorses

i also attempted a ford 2.3 and c3 auto trans which worked....trans fit tunnel ok but the engine has a tall deck so the hood would need a scoop of some sort or i would need to add a cross member spacer between the frame but then suspension geometry would be altered