2 Ballast resistors?

Callentezx

Doing some clean up on connectors and such, and I noticed I had two resistors, There is one on the strut tower below the coil and one on the firewall. Is that supposed to be there? And are they both for the ignition system? 

20130121_155258.jpg

Thats the one on the firewall...

20130121_155226.jpg

And this is the one i had on the strut tower, They look different but i've seen the ones that are sold at Autozone and they look just like the firewall one. Any ideas? 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a point ignition and Someone put a lower ohm coil(usually a newer EI type coil) in there you need to add a ballast resisitor in series to the stock ballast.

I run 2 ballast as I put a SUPER COIL in there. which is .7 ohms added a .85 ohm resister in series with the stock 1.6 ohm ballast so overall it comes out the same.

if your points starts wearing out(burning up) alot fatser then you got a lower ohm coil(was added) and youll need to add the difference.

if in dought just buy a stock coil for you model as the ballast you got near the coil looks stock and it should work

• 2 weeks later...