Ethanol free gas . . ..

You hear that a lot in my area. So much so that we petitioned the county inspectors and they shut down 3 stations over the last year for watering down gas. Now it is better but there are stations popping up left and right again so I'm sure they will miss something. I go to places I have been using for years. If I went there in my eclipse and it ran the same as always, I stuck with it. Another point to add though is these people may not have cleaned their tanks. Running a tank almost empty, which people are doing more and more now because of prices, and then filling up sloshes all of that grime out of the bottom of the tank.

Just think of what our datsun's would have in them after their 35-50 years. That makes it harder to believe the whole "my car ran worse, must be water" remarks. Esp if you know the person doesn't maintain their vehicle.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a bit of a side note, I was on another forum yesterday and a couple guys were insisting that stations in their area were intentionally "watering down their fuel". When pressed for details all they could come up with was, "Well, all I know is that when I get gas there my car runs like crap and my buddy had a friend who got gas there and later found water in his tank so his car wouldn't run." This article was referenced as a response - http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/biofuels/e15-gasoline-damage-engine . Thoughts?

Ive heard a lot of people say that, but I think its just the go-to insult when their car runs like crap. It could be sediment at the bottom of their tanks, just a poor batch of gas, weather conditions, porly maintained vehicle... who knows. I just think water is the first think they cry when the car runs different. 

I think the point was more that no stations are deliberately adding water to their tanks, it's just a byproduct of the "fuel" that is now being referred to as gasoline. The additives actually absorb and attract water which then separates out and causes drivability and corrosion issues.

Ethanol is hydrophilic. Maybe they aren't moving their gas fast enough, or keeping it around for too long and its collecting water on its own.

This would probably be my guess also, as I have a hard time believing that regular water will actually mix with the fuel they are selling in a big tank unless they have some kind of mixer in there, I would still doubt that it would mix.

If you have a tank that is not sealed fairly good, your gas will separate, as I have had it happen, for some reason 521 tanks are not that great, when fuel starts going bad in them, it's hard to keep ahead of it.

I drained the roadster tank today after driving it a couple miles, it looked good, but the engine was hesitating and bucking, I had 10 gallons of pure 100% premium gas, so I put 5 gallons in it and let it idle for 10-15 minutes, and then drove it to the auto parts store, it was like night and day, it ran great on that fuel, I poured the fuel into the work truck, as that truck has a recirculating system, it was premium 76 pump gas, it will likely burn it, as I run regular in it normally.

• 2 years later...