will a sd25 bolt onto a early 620 auto trans ?

bikesnbenzs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I have never seen another VE type injection pump in the USA on a 720 SD diesel engine, I had mine shipped from Australia.

You have one of the few SD engine series injection pumps that are fairly easy to turbocharge, but you need a transmission for it, you need to look around for a datsun/nissan SD22/25 transmission, beg for one if you have to, you are lucky that you have this type of injection pump, it is a lot easier to set up to work off your ignition/key also.

If you cannot find a diesel transmission, you quite likely can make a early datsun roadster transmission work, but I have not personally tried it yet, it has the same transmission case bolt pattern as the diesel, it also has the starter in the same place/position.

If all else fails you can sell me the engine.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I know a little about these diesels, I have an SD25 diesel powered 1969 521KC I put together a few years ago, I actually have 3 running SD series diesel trucks.

This is a link to the diesel truck I put together.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22928-1969-datsun-kingcab-project/page__view__findpost__p__375219__hl__wayno__fromsearch__1

I just re-read the heading of this thread, and you are wanting to use an auto transmission, that is going to be tough, the only way I would think that might be possible is if the front few inches of a diesel transmission case were to be welded onto the auto front case after cutting the proper amount off of it, and a flywheel would have to be made or found to work with the diesel starter, maybe the stock flywheel could be machined down to work with the torque converter, anyway you look at it, it is likely going to be a lot of work.

Have you ever drove or even been in a SD22/25 series equipped truck?

They are not that powerful of an engine, but they get decent fuel mileage.

I do not believe that the SD series engines ever had an automatic transmission anywhere in the world, well except maybe a forklift automatic, but that would not likely work in an automobile application, and I don't believe that the roadsters ever had an automatic option either.

This I did not know, an auto that will bolt to a SD series engine, are they hard to find?

Seen an IH Scout recently?  Let alone a Diesel one?  IH guys with their SD33s seem to really want to hold on to them.

Now, perhaps an SD20/SD22 Diesel Nissan Cedric might have an Automatic option...  of course, they only existed in Europe and Asia.

Seen an IH Scout recently?  Let alone a Diesel one?  IH guys with their SD33s seem to really want to hold on to them.

Now, perhaps an SD20/SD22 Diesel Nissan Cedric might have an Automatic option...  of course, they only existed in Europe and Asia.

lol there' over 400 of them  on the same lot as the "patrol hoarde"  so many you can see them from space.  that Said, there was only 1 diesel among them if I remember correctly.

Bikesnbenz, if you get stuck and decide to manual, I have a diesel 5 speed i can sell you for my time to get it off and packed $100, the shipping from canada will kill you though.

Diesel_Jeep_CJ 10A

Has SD bolt pattern on Chrysler 3 speed TorqueFlite automatic.

The article talked about the injection pump being vacuum controlled, while the SD25 engine bikesnbenzs has is the VE type injection pump, a lot of hassles are bypassed because of this, I wonder where he found this engine with that injection pump, I had to have mine shipped from Australia.

I have a feeling that the Chrysler 3 speed TorqueFlite automatic is not an easy to find transmission either, but I could be wrong, I would just stick with the L block if I were him, and he should sell that engine to me.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: