BoostinBen's 71 SR 510 re-Build

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dope bro! Whats the O.D. of the decal? PM me the cost of 4. I am thinking of having my bro machine up some semi flat caps for the longchamps.

The OD is 50mm on the ones I printed up for the meshies, it's a vector graphic so I can scale it to any size. If you guys want a set I'll hook them up no charge.. Maybe if I got to ship them then cover the postage. Just help out another Ratsuner when the opportunity comes.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Dude, you should show what that tire shop did to your rim! Knarly!

It will let people know where NOT to go!

oh yeah im sharing it alright.. Ratsuners Beware! haha ..  .. I am lucky that it was all fixed up.. dont know what i would have done if the wheels couldnt be fixed.

So right after i got the wheels restored, it was a nice sunday morning and i was inpatient to get my tires i had picked up mounted on them .. since it was sunday i strayed from my usual tire shop to Americas Tire in Campbell ...

I brought the wheels and 195/50/15 tires to the shop and the manager greeted me in the parking lot.. said hey!, nice wheels man!No probelm well get you taken care of right away! and helped me carry them inside.

few hours pass and i swing back over to pick them up.. go inside (which was packed with customers) payed the bill and they said someone will bring them out front. So this guy comes out rolls my wheels over to my truck and sets them down.. starts walking away and thats when i see my wheel, completely bent, abviously done with a tire bar, not once .. but twice. .. so i said hey wait a min what the F**k happened to my wheel? and the guy looked at me and said what? you brought them in like that! ... so ill spare the details but i went into the showroom and raised a huge ruckas ... eventually i got the manager to come out and agree to the fact that he helped me bring the wheels in and they were in perfect shape... so i brought them back to the place i got them polished and powdercoated to have them fixed.. which they were and sent americas tire the bill.

Here is the wheel ...

D9697357-E168-4EC7-A0B2-5314F1B226DD-141

The wheels came out perfect (again) after being straightened. but i am acutally thinking about trading the barrels on the rears to someone with a set of 15 X 7.5 +6 mine are 7.5 + 18 for a bit more lip..

Anyone chime in about the fitment of a 15X7.5 +6 on a rolled fender 2 dr 510? think ill be good?

Ya, that was some fucked up shit! Did Americas Tires pay you back yet? 
So you are asking about the whole wheel right; not just the Barrel. Cause I do believe they are welded 3 piece right? 

Mine on the back are 15x8 -7 and I beleive I can get them to sit flush with a little more persuasion and a slight stretched tire. 
I think it was determined that 8j +22 is the widest without stretching tires too much and getting plenty of tread to the ground. 

They will poke almost another 1/2" (12mm). Can your car fit another 1/2"?

So you are asking about the whole wheel right; not just the Barrel. Cause I do believe they are welded 3 piece right? 

Yes, but no. They are different than your XR4s. The barrel is two-piece thats welded together, and then the center is bolted into it. You can knock the center out on the meshes and swap barrels. 

Ya, that was some fucked up shit! Did Americas Tires pay you back yet? 

Mine on the back are 15x8 -7 and I beleive I can get them to sit flush with a little more persuasion and a slight stretched tire. 

I think it was determined that 8j +22 is the widest without stretching tires too much and getting plenty of tread to the ground. 

They will poke almost another 1/2" (12mm). Can your car fit another 1/2"?

I never payed anything outa pocket.. made sure they were billed directly.. I also insisted that i needed it done by next day no matter the cost :) I did go to wheel techniques and they did a great job on both the polish for the original restore and the fix .. you cant ever tell it happened and i checked ... really closely .

I am just looking at trading a guy a pair of barrels .. the centers come out the guy needs a lower offset and is willing to have his polished to match mine before we trade.

Yes, but no. They are different than your XR4s. The barrel is two-piece thats welded together, and then the center is bolted into it. You can knock the center out on the meshes and swap barrels. 

First on Page 3! LOL

I know, I have some Hoshino Impul Pro Mesh (the better looking more rare twin to the SSR FM) 

You are right, They are welded 3 piece but the middle comes out. 

It's funny tho, the Champs are welded but still have the sealant around the bead. Guess they don't trust they're welding jobs.... LOL

Did you go to Wheel Teqniques in the south bay or is there a better place to get rims fixed and powder coated???

I also had Wheel Techniques do my Hoshinos and they did a great job.

They were originally thrashed and had gouges and dings in them. I too inspected them CLOSELY and could not find the repairs. 

I never payed anything outa pocket.. made sure they were billed directly.. I also insisted that i needed it done by next day no matter the cost :) I did go to wheel techniques and they did a great job on both the polish for the original restore and the fix .. you cant ever tell it happened and i checked ... really closely .

I am just looking at trading a guy a pair of barrels .. the centers come out the guy needs a lower offset and is willing to have his polished to match mine before we trade.

Hell ya, I would have done the same!

He wants lower offset wheels? But yours are higher offset right? 

Here are some pics of before and after of my Hoshinos: 

BEFORE...... Major deep rashing and some dings bends and dents. In the second pic, that deep ding was all the way through. 
And the on the first pic, it was curbed all the way to the outside of the bead. They filled and machined it and polished them all nice and tidy!

ImpulDamage4.jpg
ImpulDamage2.jpg

Hoshino2.jpg

HoshinoNut.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So The 71 SR 510 is officially back on the road!

I had a buddy of mine fly up on friday to Tune the car down at ZCar Garage.. Things went really well on the dyno and now I have a safe break-in tune to run until i get some miles on the brand new motor. The car runs awsome now, night and day difference from my last tune.. I ended up making 300 wheel hp on 7psi ... stock boost! I was blown away by how well it did.. I cant image what kind of numbers it will throw down on a more agressive re-tune once its broken in. If I even end up wanting a more aggressive tune, this thing is faaaaast now as it sits.

Here are a couple pics

There was some bad ass Datsuns down here...

DE431720-A73C-4315-9451-1D3E9CACE8D9-180

Rob's uber dope box flare 510 rocking an awsome draw through turbo setup

91A6EC6C-3B2E-41C3-A6B0-99A70F8F791D-180

Here we are strapped in on the dyno and Mitch giving thigs a once over before we begin

28154DF2-BE50-48EC-B9FA-2F49A59695C3-180

The next day I drove it from San jose up to Sonoma to visit the Fam.. Time to rack up some miles :)

94F81B3F-3A15-423E-B5F1-85F98814A8C4-180

A9102609-DAB2-4704-A8D6-942DB715F1C8-180

It was on a Dynojet :thumbup:  I will have to check the sheet when i get home but i believe the exact number we ended up at was 290.43 with the compensation factored in for Temp / altitude? (dont remember what the "factors" were) .. think it was like 312 raw numbers with compensation turned off.

bd63e741-29a7-428f-bb31-45cd47f6a91a.jpg

Yeah .. he is a wizard when it comes to AEM standalone's , before he started tuning under his own business he was one of the engineers who designed the standalones for AEM.. the motor is far from stock as well which id think has quite a bit to do with it .. Either way im really happy with the results.

Here is a vid of one of the pulls..