510 heater fan upgrade?

Hey so with the datsun becoming my DD as of Sunday, and it being very moist in the NW, the windows have been foggy.

The fan works fine, just doesn't blow to warm( gonna clean the heater core), and it sucks at pushing air, I can bearly feel it on full blast.

I did some research and Z guys can fit 88-91 civic fans in there and it works great, will that work in a 510?

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean the plenum in front of the windshield it's probably blocked with leaves.

Heater core has a mouse nest on it.

Remove both heater hoses form the motor. Put on high heat and run a garden hose through the core, both ways untill the water runs clear.

Replace the thermostat with the correct range. Get a $12 one not a $3 WallMart special.

Clean battery terminals and fuse contacts for best voltage.

Replace alternator with 90 amp unit.

• Like 1

Remove both heater hoses form the motor. Put on high heat and run a garden hose through the core, both ways untill the water runs clear.

Replace the thermostat with the correct range. Get a $12 one not a $3 WallMart special.

In the case where none of that fixes the worn out and tired 510 unit, what are your options? Are there no other, newer model replacements?

I am just in the middle of refurbishing my heater unit with a "like new" core I bought at Canby a couple years ago.  I hope to finally install it this weekend.  I'm just doing all stock/oem stuff as I'm only trying to get it working.  My old valve was totally corroded and stuck shut, and the core was clogged, so I've never really had heat in my car for the last two years.  Lately, I've had no heater either, so it'll be nice to not have to keep rags in the car to wipe off the inside of the windshield.

Right now, I have two other full assemblies (aside from what is going in my car, and they're both somewhat cannibalized) if someone wants to have a go at retrofitting a different blower motor.  Seems like it should be fairly straight forward?  FireFighterZach appears to be in the same neighborhood as me, so let me know if you want any random pieces

i took my heater core to macs and had it roded out re sealed the heater box and the heat comes out so hot if you have the lower vent open your jeans will get so hot it burns your leg

I resealed my box. And I left it overnight with CLR in the core. Hose clamped my garden hose to it, and ran it til clear and then some, both directions.

My will get very hot. Enough to make me need to open the air vents.

But the force of the air is slow, and feels more like a draft.

I did all that......mines still is as weak as a princess fart......

I would take the other if thats ok... And I need to pick up the tie rod if its still around...

Tie rod's still waiting for you. I'll trade you for some quality brew. You should come over at the same time as Zach and we'll have a 71 goon party.

When my stuff is all put together and ready to go, I'll let you guys duke it out for the other heater assemblies. One is EXTREMELY rough. That's why I figured it would be okay to hack up for a high powered fan project.

I did all that......mines still is as weak as a princess fart......

At the very most this will bring back 'like new' performance in the heater. I had a 521 back in Ontario in the '70s. The winters are brutal there. I did all the above and even had the heater core out... it's almost as big as the palm of your hand,  pathetic. I survived 8 winters there, not because of the heater but in spite of it.

A larger amp alternator will have higher voltage at low speed and idle which is a plus when in town, lights on, wiper on.

If the engine isn't running at the correct temperature neither will the heater.

If you have holes in the floor you're letting in the cold. Check shifter boot.

Be sure that the heater controls are actually moving the mix doors and cock heater.

Be sure the heater air hoses up under the dash are secure. Duct tape them on.

i took my heater core to macs and had it roded out re sealed the heater box and the heat comes out so hot if you have the lower vent open your jeans will get so hot it burns your leg

Thats how it was in my wagon. filled all that space up quick and would burn my leg lol

I could drive with the window down in the winter and still be getting hot.

Quality brew... What do ya like?

My taste is wide ranging, and I can appreciate most anything that isn't bear piss.  I love most Northwest micros, but the contest for the hoppiest beer is getting kind of old.  In my opinion, the Germans have it right since they never had any prohibition "experiments" to mess things up.  My favorite German breweries are Ayinger, Weihenstephan, Hofbrau, and so on.

You should come over at the same time as Zach and we'll have a 71 goon party
I'm down for a little meet up after Saturday, got my license suspended for 60 days for going 120mph. I get to drive again on the 13th!

I mad gonna tear apart the heater core today, see what she needs, but I'm broke until my next financial aid check comes in to start upgrading/replacing things