classic car insurance

so old datsuns can be covered by Hagerty classic car insurance. which is very cheap, like $127 a year for both of mine. but they don't want you really driving the cars regularly. i drive mine like 3-4 times a week. if i used there insurance and something happened would they somehow bust me for abusing the daily driver rules? i am in need of any extra cash i can get right now and i am insuring 4 cars for 2 peaple. 3 for me and 1 for the wife! i should sell one but i can't seem to do it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you call them and run this by them?

You may find that they don't allow any driving to work or to errands. No hauling of items in the bed of a truck or in the trunk of a car. If you have a claim and it happens during the times of a morning commute, they may say you were driving to work and your insurance is void.

If you really only do drive it for pleasure or to shows then that is the insurance for you.

i havent gotten it yet (cant remeber who offered it...) but they limit the mileage to under 6K annual, aroung the same $$$, but also the value will affect the rate. their adjuster didnt have a 510 in the books :lol:

still trying to determine if theyll offer more than just liability w/a salavge title (wagon)

interesting about the time of an accident voiding it.

odometer? what odometer???

i hate insurance companies!

interesting about the time of an accident voiding it.

odometer? what odometer???

You know they'll do anything they can to not pay on your claim.

If their rule says you can't commute to work... what were you doing on the freeway in traffic at 7:30am on Tuesday morning? ...out on a joy ride? probably not :blink:

yeah, I decided not to do hagarty because I want to drive my car when ever I want (not just to a show or to be worked on).

I asked my insurance company about parking insurance (because my 510 sits a lot) they said it was cheaper but you had to have it for a full month. Can't just turn it on and off as you like.

But if you know your vehicle will sit for a long time and don't want to just uninsure it. It might be worthing looking in to parking insurance (supposedly $30 a month) with your insurance company. Who knows they might let you turn parking insurance on and off as you please. I heard about one company who would let you do that. Make a phone call if you want to drive it for the weekend, call em on monday and it goes back to parking insurance.

Oh and because my 510 is worth more than a stock 510, they told me to keep every single recepit to prove how much is invested in it. Haven't had a claim yet but hopefully they won't just total it from a damaged fender..

i talked to them and and they basically told me it's not for me, with my driving habits. i was just wondering if anyone here ever cheated the system. the thing i like about it, besides the price, is they put my cars at a decent value. where now my insurance company probelly values it right at nothing. i also tried to turn it on and off, but in GA you have to have insurance if you have a tag, so they fine you if your insurance lapses, and the company didn't offer any parking insurance. oh well, i guess i need to sell something:mad:

I don't cheat the system, I just found a system that works for me. I have Broadform. But that isn't applicable to No-fault States, and it ONLY covers liability (No collision, no comprehensive). As it is, my previous insurance company told me that Collision/Comp was worthless on my cars because the deductable was more than the car would be worth.

Now, broadform isn't cheap, it's around $1600 a year for 100/300 liability, but it covers everything I own or don't own up to 1 Ton payload (my Deuce isn't covered). Prior to getting that I was switching policies every couple months... this car runs, no now it's that one, etc etc. Fortunately Washington doesn't track insurance via the DOL records. Only time you have to present is when you get pulled over.

I have comp insurance for parked cars. $45/6 month policy per vehicle through Allstate. $7 a month :D

The same thing goes with those Classic Car license plates. some people get them and drive that vehicle to work every day. Others do it and get pulled over and ticketed.

Yeah, I've seen some pretty nasty cars with "Collector" plates. Like the dented, rusty half-primered '72 Malibu 4-door with an interior so shredded it looks like someone let a bear loose inside. In I-5 in stop-and-go traffic at 8:15AM. On a Tuesday. Yeah, I don't think he's headed for a car show.

I have the Hagerty classic car insurance on my 510. I state the value, and they tell me how much per year to pay. 30K is about $500 per year.

One big stipulation is that for every licensed person in your home, you need to have another car for them that is insured. My wife and I both have licenses, so we have two other vehicles insured at all times.

Sounds fine eh? except that we both commute by bicycle, year round.

So, THREE insured vehicles sitting in the garage and driveway at least 5 days per week. When we go to drive one on the weekend, we have to remember which of the two drivers we drove last, so we don't leave one sitting for too long without running.

The price we pay to have Datsuns....

You guys should check out American Family. I have my 83 Toyota 4x4 which is my daily work truck, a 67 Mustang Cvt, and a 70 1600 Roadster with them. The Pony and Roadster are fully covered as classics for about $30 a month.Some jackass just hit and run the Roadster and AmFam payed out with zero hassle. Great customer service and a local agent who's hot. Almost makes me happy to part with the green, but not quite.:D

I have American National. They cant be beat, trust me I have 6 cars to insure so I've shopped around. Plus for Full coverage on my dime its 57 bucks a year and you can drive it any time you like just not over 7500 miles a year, which they have never even wrote down my millage so I don't know how they could prove it? Might I add that they are the best for classics but don't know about newer rigs since I only have one of those.

I have the Hagerty classic car insurance on my 510. I state the value, and they tell me how much per year to pay. 30K is about $500 per year.

One big stipulation is that for every licensed person in your home, you need to have another car for them that is insured. My wife and I both have licenses, so we have two other vehicles insured at all times.

Sounds fine eh? except that we both commute by bicycle, year round.

So, THREE insured vehicles sitting in the garage and driveway at least 5 days per week. When we go to drive one on the weekend, we have to remember which of the two drivers we drove last, so we don't leave one sitting for too long without running.

The price we pay to have Datsuns....

Do they say what kind of insurance you need to have on them? You could set up the cars with the bare minimum or even parking insurance on them. Hell if Hagarty would know :rolleyes:

Do they say what kind of insurance you need to have on them? You could set up the cars with the bare minimum or even parking insurance on them. Hell if Hagarty would know :rolleyes:

I do have pretty minimal coverage, only liability. Luckilly my driving record has cleared up, so it not too much of a finanical strain.