An Everyday Datsun.

This won't be much of a project (at least not compared to what other folks are doing).  I wanted to create a place to show my car, take in opinions and critsism, keep track of my plans and cash, ask questions.  I also think a project thread creates some amount of accountability to get some shit done.

Anyway, I bought this 810 last year (Around June).  Used it as my daily and road trip machine.  Cost me $1200.  I traded it away a few months later and just got it back with a new alternator, master cylinder, rebuilt rear brakes, a bit more rust on the front fenders, and a big box of parts.  I traded an old 2 door Volvo 240 for it.

Plans for now:

1) Rebuilt the suspension.

2) Sort out some wheels (Z steelies, paint, baby moon caps, white walls)

3) Round eye swap.

4) Fix up the rust.

5) Thinking that I'll never find replacement seat covers, so some Z seats with matching fabric should do (I think this brown was available for the 280).

6) Whatever I cook up next.

I don't have dreams of crazy horsepower or moar low.  Just want a simple, nice daily that I can be pround of.  I would like a nice suspension under the old girl, though.  Looks like KYB is still making strut inserts and rear shocks.  Not sure about springs, if uprated ones or available or any at all.  A larger swap bar in the front should help things.  I think the 910 sway is a bit bigger, not positive though.

Pictures:

8359124202_899c763352_c.jpg

8359122384_54dc644c15_c.jpg

8359123378_af6b09f77a_c.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with your springs?

I just find this car's suspension to be very "waterbed," if you know what I mean, though that will be improved by the shocks.  The springs are 30 years old.  From the many old cars I've taken apart, I do believe they wear out over time.  The front springs that I'd take out of old Volvo 240s would be all stretched out, a lot longer than they should be.

I replaced my 810 rear shocks ( KYB )  last summer. What a world of difference that made. Rear trunk access to fuel tank will give you a chance to drain out the crap.

Mine is a good daily driver but does not handle well in ice and snow.

Damn few 810's around.  Glad to hear you got yours back again.

Why replace parts that make no difference? Find the problem and replace what needs to be replaced. Steering linkage is easily tested.

Will do these checks.  Idler arm bushings are new and tie rod ends as well.  Since I've had the car, full lock to the left has caused a horribly disturbing, loud popping noise, right when you get going.  Only to thr right, pops twice.  Turning the wheel while stationary (I guess the only time I can hear it), produces a creeking sound.  I guess I'm afraid it's the steering box.

I replaced my 810 rear shocks ( KYB )  last summer. What a world of difference that made. Rear trunk access to fuel tank will give you a chance to drain out the crap.

Mine is a good daily driver but does not handle well in ice and snow.

Damn few 810's around.  Glad to hear you got yours back again.

I'm sure mine would be terrible in the snow, if it ever snowed here.

Since I've had the car, full lock to the left has caused a horribly disturbing, loud popping noise, right when you get going.  Only to thr right, pops twice.  Turning the wheel while stationary (I guess the only time I can hear it), produces a creeking sound.  I guess I'm afraid it's the steering box.

A complete front end lube job might just eliminate the sound effects!

Springs don't 'wear out'. They may sag a bit over time but they don't get softer. This is a luxury car don't forget so the ride may be a little 'softer' right from the factory. The 810/Maxima was built on the z/zx platform so it shares a lot of it's suspension parts. Replacing the strut insides with inserts will go a long way to fixing the ride. I have a set of '84 Maxima goon springs and worked out the spring rate to about 150 pounds per inch. My 710 goon spring rate was about 100 pounds per inch.  While changing the strut insert maybe cut one coil from the springs. To prevent lowering it put a 1" rubber spacer on the spring perch. You can also add an extra flatter leaf to the pack.

• 2 weeks later...