name that wheel? bought some old-school western mags 14x6 (photos)

Yesterday, i drove out to a rural suburb of portland and picked up these wheels off some redneck kid on craigslist... I gave him 200 bucks for them; he said they came off a 240z, and I figured for the price, I'd check them out.

They're old western wheel 14x6 6 spoke mags, but surprisingly I have found zero info about this wheel, and only ONE picture online so far, also with no info.

I cleaned em up a little bit, and set out this morning to try and visit the one or two used tire shops/junkyards in the area open on the first. I was initially looking for a nice set of 185/65/14's, but I got lucky (you could say) after a few hours of digging, and found some 80% 185/60/14's for the rear (for 15 bucks a piece), and two near-new 185/55/14's for the front (for 30 bucks a piece). Who'd have ever thought I would find a pair of 55 series 14 inch tires for 60 bucks right down the street from home.

the egyptian dudes I met at the tire shop balanced, and mounted them on my 210 wagon for free. pretty fuckin cool.

All in all, 290 bucks; plus the gas to go get them. I think i'll probably get that money back out of selling the 13x5.5 appliance slot mags I had on the car before, with good tires.

These wheels are eventually going onto my KP starlet when it's outta the shop; I've got some 13x6 carroll shelby CSS reverse mesh wheels that would suit this wagon a little better i think...

I didn't want to stagger the tire sizes; they only had a pair of the 55's and the 60's were 15 bucks each so I couldn't argue. I'll be getting a little sideways every now and then in the starlet :) and I'll be replacing the slightly bigger rear tires soon enough with some 55's.

but i snapped a couple photos of them on the 210, to try and solve this mystery. check it out!

I shot some before and after photos. (the 700$ goon still needs body/paint, obviously)

tumblr_mfyzdu2u6b1r7f4cso2_500.jpg

tumblr_mfyzdu2u6b1r7f4cso1_500.jpg

tumblr_mfyzdu2u6b1r7f4cso3_500.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any markings or casting marks anywhere? Could be on the backs of the spokes, near the valve stems, or anywhere on the back of the outer rims. I guess they also could be marked on the outers, between the beads.

Are they marked "Western" somewhere? I've worked for 2 tire shops, and found (when trying to match existing wheels) every manufacturer marks their wheels differently. Also, I believe the only wheels Western actually manufactured were the "Turbine" style. (Think General Lee, and that black van on "The A Team") The rest of the "Western" wheels were actually made by other companies and stuffed in boxes with the "Western" logo on them.

If you get some kind of markings off them, I might be able to figure who made them for you.

They're definitely western wheel co. It's stamped in a couple places on the reverse side of the wheel; and the 3 center caps I got all say western on them. There's some model insignia, but it's all numbers and letters, and after searching around using them, I realized people don't really reference these old western rims like that when they're talking about them on forums.

come to mention it, i really should have written that shit down before i mounted them..... :geek:

if i remember correctly, some of the information cast into the backside of the wheel read with a number ending in 87... so maybe they're from the late 80's. they definitely appear to be an enkei sports clone, thanks tristingrind, for giving me one more bit of info about these beauties.

• 3 weeks later...