Ratsun Noob with 520/521 info

gearboxx70

Hey all!

I'm new to this forum (and forums in general). I was turned on to this site by Victory and the510keeper since I'll be aquiring a '69 521 from them. (Sorry, no oics yet, but you've all seen a 521 before!) Been doing some research on here and the web in general. I've found 520/521 windshields are hard to come by these days, so I went looking for one (since the truck I'm getting doesn't have one). Here's what I've found...

There's a company called Pilkington Classics that will be importing new windshields for these trucks from England in about 60 days. They're about $230 + about $110 s&h.

There's also a company that carries new window rubber and door rubber for 520/521's AND 510's at www.vintagerubber.com.

Obviously, the new stuff is kinda expensive, but its NEW. (Not 40+ years old.) As for the glass, I may still be seeking a used windshield in a few months just to save some costs. But its nice to know there's another option out there.

As for MY truck... There will be plenty of oics to come. I don't plan on starting this project for at least 3 months as I have a one-owner '67 Mustang I'm restoring right now. Its a true one-owner car... Still belongs to the guy who bought it off the lot in '67, and he will be getting it back after the restoration and about 500 more miles on the clock. (Gotta break in the new engine for him, change the oil, and put it on a truck to ship it to him in S.C.)

The plan for my 521 is to make it as reliable as possible, and "renew" as much stuff as possible. All of my current cars are gas guzzlers, so I want something that I can drive more than 4 miles from the nearest gas station. Looking to have a 5 speed, disc breaks, and enough power to actually haul more than a family pack of toilet paper in the bed.

Since this post is already all over the road like a drunk with a flat tire and an open container, I'll include my Datsun history... I had a chocolate brown 510 with a 4 speed and dual side drafts in about 1988 0r '89. At the time, I lived in Salem, OR. After I traded it in for a Plymouth Sattelite, I saw it roaming around Independence, OR. It had been painted "Arrest-me-red" and had a black vinyl top put on it. And that's the whole history!

Late!

D

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ mrbigtanker

Looking forward to the ball busting! Been reading alot of posts from this dysfunctional family, and I think we'll all get along just fine! I just don't have a reason to carry more than 1 family pack of TP since there's only 2 people in my family. Might need to add some family packs of paper towels though... Got 3 cats worth of cat puke to clean up some times!

@ metalmonkey47

Oics will come later. I don't even have the truck at my place yet. The510keeper still has it... Awaiting a little bartering.