My B210 is sick, won't idle over 2,500 RPM

Nicholas7620

CIMG0438.jpg  (I love the Autosave, great feature, thank you.)

Hello my Ratsun brothers from another mother,

My 76 Datsun has been running great ever since June 2012 when my "B" passed Cali smog with best scores ever.  I haven't done a thing to it since.  I was driving home on the freeway early December and it started to lose power going up a small hill. 

I could only go 50 mph@ 2500 in 4th gear while flooring when I normally blast up the hill doing 70 @ 3650 RPM. with power to spare  I finally got to the top of the hill and was able to get up to 65 going down hill.

I had to floor it to keep the speed at 65 for the next six miles until I reached my exit.  I parked Bee in my driveway and have been driving my gas guzzling Tacoma ever since because work has been demanding.  But I now have time to work on my Bee. :rofl:

Does anyone think its electrical?  I have a Cali distributor in my parts inventory.  I'm hoping it's not the dreaded Hitachi carburetor acting up again.

I'll start by doing a tune up, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel & air filter. Then hope for the best.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it cut out at higher RPMs? 

I was cruisin down the interstate in my 620 and it started cutting out anywhere above idle.. I pulled over, grabbed some tools, and opened the carb to find something stuck in the jet.

Not likely your issue, just a suggestion. Sounds like a fuel issue.

Like Mike said, start with the fuel filter.

Fuel filter is supposed to be changed over 12 months/12,000 miles.

It is a simple problem.

Either an Electrical problem or a carburetor problem, most certainly.

Does it cut out at higher RPMs? No, it only runs at over 2500 RPMs. Most likely that is a clogged main jet, and it won't run until secondary is opened. Very simple problem, very simple solution. First, change the fuel filter. 2rd spray carb cleaner down the primary air bleed to backflow the main jet. 3nd drain the carburetor fuel bowl using the external plug. No need to disassemble the carburetor.

All right!!!  Merry Christmas everyone.  I got side tracked by all the holiday parties I wanted to go attend.  I had two Thursdays, missed Friday, when I woke up it was Saturday.  Too much wine, beer, food and fun.  :D

It's Tuesday today and feels like Sunday.  I will change fuel filter on Wednesday after work.  I can't wait to start driving my Datsun Bee again. 

Thanks for the replies.

Does it cut out at higher RPMs? 

I was cruisin down the interstate in my 620 and it started cutting out anywhere above idle.. I pulled over, grabbed some tools, and opened the carb to find something stuck in the jet.

Not likely your issue, just a suggestion. Sounds like a fuel issue.

Like Mike said, start with the fuel filter.

Hey Matt, Not a cut out, but more of a decrease in willingness to RPM higher.  My engine wants to only rev up so high in 4th.  I'll put up additional details upon changing fuel filter.  :)

If it's not the filter, don't bother changing cap,rotor,plugs. Those almost never go bad and you can inspect them. Regap the plugs if they are out of spec. Replace cap if carboned-track, otherwise just keep using it. Air filter can be inspected, if you can still see sunlight through it, don't replace it.

Does your car have electronic ignition (1976 CAL model)?

To GGZIILLA yes my B210 has electronic ignition.

I changed the fuel filter this afternoon.  My Datsun started right up.  I let it warm up good, then I drove it to do errands around town turning it off, starting back up.  It was great to drive it again.  My B210 was zippy and running great.  :thumbup:

I noticed it wanted to idle over 2,000 RPM at first despite being warmed up, then after 5 min of driving it finally  idled back down around 800 RPM.  After my last errand, I was heading home and it started to avoid going over 2500 RPM.   I limped home, it back fired softly as I headed up into the driveway.  I'm thinking, I should replace distributor or my choke is crapping up.

I couldn't help thinking while zipping around, this is too easy, replace the fuel filter and problem gone.  I have been through carburetor wars with my Hitachi and was thinking whether I should get a rebuilt one.  :confused:

Hey GGZEEE, road warrior to the MAX!!!  :rofl: and everyone.  Happee New Year!!!!  I'm thinking about cleaning out my fuel bowl which I've never done before.  I don't think it will be as easy as cleaning my toilet bowl or salad bowl.

Do I have to fumble for a drain plug on the underside of the carburetor?  I remember cleaning my jets and having to remove the carburetor to get access.  I have a Hitachi carb in the garage attic I could practice on. 

Hey GGZilla... I appreciate the great diagrams you come up with and paste in your comments.  I'm going to go look for one on the Datsun 1200 site.  Please let me know if you discover a diagram.  Best.  :thumbup:

I have this picture of my Hitachi.  It's a rebuilt 77 b210 carb which I ordered from FLA.  The carb works great I got the best emission scores on my Cali smog test in June 2012.  I don't think I have an inline fuel filter.  

Yuk, I hate to think of having to remove carb.  I tightened the carb to the manifold with nylon nuts and sealed each layer and gasket with "Right Stuff".

The installation is tight with no leakage.

CIMG0320.jpg

The current installed carb is on the left, it is a 77 model the 76 is on the right.

CIMG0460.jpg

The installed 77 B210 DCH Hitachi which works great.  I have to devote a block of time to removing and cleaning the fuel bowl.  I've removed the jets before and I removed the carb to get at the jets.

CIMG0322.jpg

This is a better OIC of the 77 Hitachi.  Maybe I can get the jets off.  Here is a pic of my 76 Hitachi prior to removal.

CIMG0319.jpg

It looks like I can remove the jets without removing carb, but will that clean the fuel bowl???.  :confused:

Another OIC of my 77 Carb with box the carb arrived in.

CIMG0317.jpg

Another OIC of my rebuilt carb prior to installation.  It sure looks like there is an inline filter.

CIMG0323.jpg

yup, this is Carburetor wars all over again.  :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Datsun Brothers from other Mothers, (Remember Mother this Sunday)

I'm finally getting to the tear down.  I reread my thread and off I go.  I will take PICS.  I'm hoping for a happy ending. :rofl: 

I picked up a DeWalt impact driver to make the screwing more fun :thumbup: .  It's 5:12 PM in Cali.  Sun shining good.

Best,

I still need ideas.  I removed the jet plugs, rinsed gas through the carb.  I sprayed carb cleaner.  Let the carb bowl soak for a while and drained the carb again.  Closed everything back up and I get putt putt putt, and the engine just keeps putting without being able to reach idle speed.  I might be getting 250 RPM and I have the gas pedal floored.  If I let up on the gas the engine dies.

I'm thinking I should remove the carb and have it rebuilt.  My friend Albert is stopping by in the AM to listen to the engine,   He was funny.  He said 80% of the time, when people think they have a carb problem, its usually something else.

I'll keep everyone posted.

• 6 months later...