620 tach

graveltrapp

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I just this week went to Aaron brothers frame shop and bought a acrylic picture frame and plan to make one from it. I wont get to it this week and next week I will be down in Portland for the week.  Thanks for the wiring link, I will definitely be using it as there are no wires attached to the back. I could use a couple of gauge lights for the tach as mine did not come with any if you have any of those. I see your in Vancouver and could cross paths sometime next week if you had any. Thanks for the offer and lead

E. Thanks for the offer but lets hold off, I am trying this out first since I now have $2.99 invested.

For some reason when rotating in Photobucket it does not seem to transfer to the img. code? Goofy I know. Any way here is the plan, just need to get out to the shed and get the dremel and start making a dusty mess. Is the speedo the same screw hole pattern? have not had my dash off yet. See you there.

IMAG0176_zpsd7d96b04.jpg

> For some reason when rotating in Photobucket it does not seem to transfer to the img. code?

After modifying the photo, your browser may continue to show the old photo for a while, depending on the cache settings. And also sometimes Photobucket doesn't update their caching server for a while. It's not due to rotation -- any photo mod made can cause the old photo to keep showing.

No problem, better than plastic, just dont scratch it trying to remove that goofy label thats on it, use some solvent & then wash it well. Wash up that gasket in soapy water & it'll be fine as well. Lets meet up next week some time.

E

• 1 month later...

Tach has been in for a week or so now and is working flawlessly. I ended up using one of the small screws that hold the inner gauge to the outer housing as a ground. Only other wire I had to run was to the Negative side of the coil and voila. I do need to locate the two light housing as mine were missing but that is not effecting the operation, and thanks to Evan I did go with the glass lens which looks great but was a little tricky to keep centered up as I assembled the panel back together because there is no recess for the tach glass like there is for the speedo and multi gauge faces, it just gets sandwiched. I will post up some pics later today.

As mentioned earlier the toughest part was keeping all the parts (lens and tach) centered up in the instrument panel while assembling it because there was no recess for the glass lens to rest in like the other two were provided with. While I had the dash all apart,I took the opportunity to paint the cluster black. I was tired of looking at the tired and dated silver color that had come from the factory, so out with the Satin black and its looking better.

Still sporting the block off plate and silver painted cluster.

DSC_0242_zps93472cf0.jpg

DSC_0239_zpsd1587fe1.jpg

Tired and dated.

DSC_0251_zpsf351eac8.jpg

I ended up grounding the tach on one of the two screws that hold the speedo guts to the outer shell seen here. The panel has a dedicated ground, but I could not find the appropriate fitting to get a good consistent contact. I tried to solder it, but the heat loosened it in the circuit board and I was worried about it losing ground.

DSC_0241_zps6370fb82.jpg

DSC_0237_zps64880b43.jpg

Here are a few crappy final shots with it all back together minus the plug for the manual choke hole which I had misplaced but later found.

DSC_0392_zps8f25f266.jpg

DSC_0393_zps9de7c680.jpg

DSC_0396_zps3347fcb5.jpg

DSC_0394_zpsc12f941b.jpg