720 Diesel tranny interchangeability?

primer grey

There are a lot of them out there without a good tranny, but the owners think it is still worth a lot because it is diesel, but it isn't worth anything if you can't drive it.

...along those lines, -with the cost of a new transmission, rebuild & machine shop costs to fit the larger bearing, this has quickly become a potentially costly project that I am not going to be able to get past the household accounting dept.

I'd love to offer any part of the truck to folks in the area who could use the engine or any other bit of it. For 5 cents a pound, and maybe help to get the rest of it a few miles to the scrapyard, you would have my deepest appreciation for salvaging the use of this unique engine.

Thanks.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...along those lines, -with the cost of a new transmission, rebuild & machine shop costs to fit the larger bearing, this has quickly become a potentially costly project that I am not going to be able to get past the household accounting dept.

I'd love to offer any part of the truck to folks in the area who could use the engine or any other bit of it. For 5 cents a pound, and maybe help to get the rest of it a few miles to the scrapyard, you would have my deepest appreciation for salvaging the use of this unique engine.

Thanks.

Don't do that yet, I had my case machined out for $70.00, and if your gears didn't get screwed up, you could likely get your truck going for under $200.00, maybe under $150.00

Have you pulled the case off yet to look at the bearing race/hole?

Do you have a photo you can send me via email or post it on here?

Did the gears get hurt on your transmission?

I also have a 620 transmission with a diesel case on it, if your case is salvagable, maybe we can make a deal

That all said, what is your 720, a kingcab or regular cab, if regular cab, is it a long box?

If it is a long frame, maybe I can buy the truck from you complete.

As I told you I would, here are a few photos of some of the diesels I have bought in the past.

This diesel truck ran and drove, but needed the brakes bled, it had a custom grill, the truck looks like it was having a bad year, and from the expression on it's face, I wouldn't argue the point, as he looks to be in a bad mood.

DSCF0016.jpg

They made a rack to haul a certain thing they built, I hope what they made/hauled looked better than the rack.  :lol:

DSCF0014.jpg

Here is the other gasser truck with the towbar, I only paid $200.00 for this truck, it did not run.

DSCF0024.jpg

I made this diesel dually out of the two trucks above.

DSCN0055.jpg

DSCN0958.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got this going today, it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, as when the owner put the broken tranny back in it so it would be movable, he didn't tighten any of the bolts except the top starter bolt.

I will take photos tomarrow of it, and pull the front case off the tranny to see the damage, I am hoping the case is salvageable.

I will have to inspect the truck cab tomarrow to see if it is worth keeping, or if it will be another 521KC diesel project.

Good news for me, there is no damage to the transmission case or the gears either, just the lower bearing went bad, oh and it wasted the front cover, but I can replace that with a gas trans. aluminum cover,  :D although I can't seem to find any small bearing covers at the moment.  :crying:

The case is good.  :rolleyes:

DSCN0717.jpg

The cover is not so good.  :crying:

DSCN0713.jpg

DSCN0715.jpg

I have no idea where the rest of the bearings are, I suspect they went out the front and got lost when the former owner pulled the tranny.

DSCN0716.jpg

it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, as when the owner put the broken tranny back in it so it would be movable, he didn't tighten any of the bolts except the top starter bolt.

well, I couldn't see any point in busting my knuckles up just to back it up 30 feet.....

Great to see that the case didn't crack up. I'm glad that drivetrain is in the hands of someone with better resources than I. It would be great to hear if the truck makes it back on the road someday, but that's obviously up to your judgement on the condition of the cab.

Please keep posting any progress on this, whichever route you take with it, I'll keep checking back.

My question is...

When swapping a bell housing/front case......which counter shaft shim is used?

Does the shim stay with the 'OE' trannie....even though you've swapped in another front case and input shaft cover?

I just use whatever shim came with the front cover, all the shims have been the same so far, none have been thicker or thinner as far as I can tell, never had an issue yet that I know of.

well, I couldn't see any point in busting my knuckles up just to back it up 30 feet.....

Great to see that the case didn't crack up. I'm glad that drivetrain is in the hands of someone with better resources than I. It would be great to hear if the truck makes it back on the road someday, but that's obviously up to your judgement on the condition of the cab.

Please keep posting any progress on this, whichever route you take with it, I'll keep checking back.

Hey, I am not complaining, it made the job easier, although I was amazed the starter actually worked the way it was put in, with one actual starter bolt, and the other being a transmission mount bolt that could never been tightened as it was way to long, but it worked for alignment.

I am torn right now, I can't decide if it is worth it to transfer the truck as a 720 into my name, or to just scrap the cab and box out and make another long 521 kingcab diesel with a flatbed or shortened stock box.

If I scrap the cab, why pay to put it in my name.

I am putting some time into this truck before I decide if it is staying a 720, or going to be another 521KC, basicly I am going to put a console in it to monitor the oil pressure and voltage.

DSCN0788.jpg

DSCN0790.jpg

and to make the gauges work, I have to install the proper sending unit for the oil.

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0787.jpg

DSCN0786.jpg
It took a few tries at baxters to find the proper fittings, as it turns out, even though the fittings are pipe thread, the fitting that turns into the block is tapered, the fittings at baxters are not for the most part, but we found an extension that was slightly smaller on the end than the rest, and I was barely able to get it to start, fact is, I thought I cross threaded it at first, but it worked out in the end.

I hope I don't have to take the starter out, as I will have to remove some of this piping to do so.
When I decide what this truck is going to be, it will get it's own build thread.