Headlight Flicker

SlammedSunny

Hey guys, so I recently installed a Set of 55W DDM tuning H4 HID's into my Hella housings on my 76 B210, and Ive noticed that sometimes they start to flicker on and off but only when im stopped at a light, I have managed to *fix* this buy turning my heater fan off and my stereo down, Is there a proper way to fix this? or is my alternator just too small? I plan on installing my KA24E within a month or 2 so Im hoping that should help but Im not fluent with electrical circuits on cars. Thanks -Travis

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

like said above, relay em and id still do a bigger alt since you mentioned stereo id guess its not just a stock one. a bigger alt never hurts....

At 700rpm, my 35amp alt had no problem with 35watt HIDs, Modern stereo (4 pioneer speakers and a Kenwood deck), and heater on.

55 watt HIDs are the same wattage as modern sealed beams. But they will flicker.

I have installed a few HIDs in modern cars, and they can still flicker. HIDs just like to have direct source to battery.

HeadlightRelayWiringDiagram3.jpg

Here's a diagram. 

This should get you going in the right direction.  You have hids or some shit, this may not apply (i don't have hids so dont know shit about them, if they don't have high/low beams then go with the other diagram.)

foglite.jpg

Forget the Fusebox wire, Switch, and indicator.  Hook up 85 to either the original headlight wire so when you hit the headlight switch it triggers the relay and turns on the lights. Or use a toggle switch...

Painless, for converting from Sealed beam connector, to whatever he bought his HIDs for, yea awesome.

H4 connectors connect the same as sealed beam, but the pins are in different locations.

Its still going to require some DIY wiring.